Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarcT
    replied
    Well, I can say that it updated the uCode on my Ryzen 7 2700x system from 0x08008204 to 0x0800820b.
    What it actually does, I've no idea...! A changelog would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• HarlemSquirrel
    replied
    Oh boy, I hope this microcode includes some fresh NSA back doors!

Leave a comment:

• Grim85
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Yeah, I suspect you're right there (don't have any links/proof myself), but I upgraded from a 1700 (Week ?5? with the original performance marginality issue that I never bothered RMAing) to a 2700 a few months ago, and my machine went from hanging every few days to being rock-solid stable.

I never saw the issue for the first 6 or 8 months I had it, then it was every other day, changing the power supply setting is enough of a work around for me for now, I get the impression that my B350 board will be supported for a couple more iterations of Zen, when they change the socket I'll pickup up a newer one to get the most out of this board

Leave a comment:

• Darknation
    replied
    Odd, maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't had any hangup issues with either my R5 1600 or my R7 1700.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

This is a hardware bug in the first generation of Zen CPUs and I doubt it can be fixed. Your best bet is to upgrade to Zen+ now (no need for new motherboard in such case) or Zen 2 later. This bug was very annoying in my 1700X and is completely gone in 2700X.
    Yeah, I suspect you're right there (don't have any links/proof myself), but I upgraded from a 1700 (Week ?5? with the original performance marginality issue that I never bothered RMAing) to a 2700 a few months ago, and my machine went from hanging every few days to being rock-solid stable.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
    Hopefully it fixes the random freezes when changing C-State, so that we can set the power supply settings back to low
    This is a hardware bug in the first generation of Zen CPUs and I doubt it can be fixed. Your best bet is to upgrade to Zen+ now (no need for new motherboard in such case) or Zen 2 later. This bug was very annoying in my 1700X and is completely gone in 2700X.
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 November 2018, 12:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Does it require new UEFI or it can be loaded without changing the above?
    microcode is updated in the CPU by Linux during boot if the UEFI's loaded version is older. This update is not permanent though, and will happen again every time you reboot.

Leave a comment:

• Grim85
    replied
    Hopefully it fixes the random freezes when changing C-State, so that we can set the power supply settings back to low

Leave a comment:

• flubba86
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    AMD was behind in releasing microcode update files, even after some UEFI/BIOS shipped it already.
    Yeah, that was my thought too. If AMD is releasing Microcode updates, chances are there are already some BIOS updates shipping with it included.

The release notes of those BIOS updates might shed some more light on what has changed.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Could be for spectre. AMD was behind in releasing microcode update files, even after some UEFI/BIOS shipped it already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X