Updated AMD Zen CPU Microcode Posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
    Hopefully it fixes the random freezes when changing C-State, so that we can set the power supply settings back to low
    This is a hardware bug in the first generation of Zen CPUs and I doubt it can be fixed. Your best bet is to upgrade to Zen+ now (no need for new motherboard in such case) or Zen 2 later. This bug was very annoying in my 1700X and is completely gone in 2700X.
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 November 2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

This is a hardware bug in the first generation of Zen CPUs and I doubt it can be fixed. Your best bet is to upgrade to Zen+ now (no need for new motherboard in such case) or Zen 2 later. This bug was very annoying in my 1700X and is completely gone in 2700X.
      Yeah, I suspect you're right there (don't have any links/proof myself), but I upgraded from a 1700 (Week ?5? with the original performance marginality issue that I never bothered RMAing) to a 2700 a few months ago, and my machine went from hanging every few days to being rock-solid stable.

Comment

Odd, maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't had any hangup issues with either my R5 1600 or my R7 1700.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Yeah, I suspect you're right there (don't have any links/proof myself), but I upgraded from a 1700 (Week ?5? with the original performance marginality issue that I never bothered RMAing) to a 2700 a few months ago, and my machine went from hanging every few days to being rock-solid stable.

I never saw the issue for the first 6 or 8 months I had it, then it was every other day, changing the power supply setting is enough of a work around for me for now, I get the impression that my B350 board will be supported for a couple more iterations of Zen, when they change the socket I'll pickup up a newer one to get the most out of this board

Comment

Oh boy, I hope this microcode includes some fresh NSA back doors!

Comment

Well, I can say that it updated the uCode on my Ryzen 7 2700x system from 0x08008204 to 0x0800820b.
              What it actually does, I've no idea...! A changelog would be nice.

Comment

Working...
              X