RISC-V Support Continues Maturing Within The Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V Support Continues Maturing Within The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: RISC-V Support Continues Maturing Within The Mainline Linux Kernel

The initial RISC-V architecture support landed in Linux 4.15 and now this open-source, royalty-free processor ISA is seeing further improvements with the Linux 4.17 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was spectre's absence confirmed in RISC v more complex cores such as Boom ?

Comment

AFAIK CPU ISA, and its silicon implementation are different.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
        Was spectre's absence confirmed in RISC v more complex cores such as Boom ?
        No announced RISC-V silicon is susceptible, and the popular open-source RISC-V Rocket processor is unaffected as it does not perform memory accesses speculatively.

Comment

Personally, I'm holding out for RISC-VI.

Comment

NVIDIA has spoken in the last two years on plans to adopt RISC-V in their "Falcon Next Gen", which is their dGPU's NVIDIA proprietary control processor. There's ~10 of them on each dGPU.

Their public comments, including the two below, outline the side-by-side comparisons for their use case:

Comment

Why would Samsung want RISC-V? Would it be easier to get mainline support compared to using ARM or is it purely licensing costs?

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post
                NVIDIA has spoken in the last two years on plans to adopt RISC-V in their "Falcon Next Gen", which is their dGPU's NVIDIA proprietary control processor. There's ~10 of them on each dGPU.
                I had seen all of that, but where does it say 10 per dGPU? From what I recall, it was only up to 2.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  I had seen all of that, but where does it say 10 per dGPU? From what I recall, it was only up to 2.
                  Second presentation linked, page 3. Referenced in the table on the right hand side that there are on average 10 Falcons per GPU.

Comment

Working...
                  X