Clear All

• chimpy
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is not so silent, they said it is delayed to the end of april:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread....5859&pid=36482

Or this Rock960 might even come earlier

https://www.96rocks.com/
    Oh thanks, for what ever reason I couldn't find that link. Roughly 70 bucks for a Rockchip 3399 is a pretty good deal, but above 100 bucks I have to agree that people should just go for x86

Leave a comment:

• chimpy
    replied
    Repeat post.
    Last edited by chimpy; 25 March 2018, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Looks good. Lacks SATA...
    Well, SoC itself does not support SATA natively - so it is normal that SATA is missing:

If somebody have SATA there, that is kind of "an extra made up feature"

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by chimpy View Post

Just checked them out. They were supposed to start orders a week ago on the 15th, but they've gone silent about the RockPro, so who knows when those will be available
    It is not so silent, they said it is delayed to the end of april:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread....5859&pid=36482

Or this Rock960 might even come earlier

Last edited by dungeon; 24 March 2018, 11:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chimpy
    replied

Forgot to mention, yeah there are many others around RK3399/PRO, like these Rock64 which seems will be cheaper:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/01...for-60-and-up/

You see, even special RK-PRO variant still bellow $100
    Just checked them out. They were supposed to start orders a week ago on the 15th, but they've gone silent about the RockPro, so who knows when those will be available

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Forgot to mention, yeah there are many others around RK3399/PRO, like these Rock64 which seems will be cheaper:

Looks good. Lacks SATA but, as long as it can hit comparable clock speeds, seems worthy.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    coder Really it is too much they asks for, also i have a weird strange feeling like buying this H96 MAX same priced (OK on discount) $110 TV box without box

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/H96-...OX-379059.html

RK3399 based Rockpro64 will launch on March 15 for $59 to $65 with 2GB RAM, and $79 with 4GB RAM, while Rockpro64-AI should start selling on August 1, 2018 for $99 with RK3399Pro and 4GB RAM.

Last edited by dungeon; 24 March 2018, 08:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    This thing is not that small anymore. Since it needs a vent, its power consumption seems to be in 5W range an neither is it that cheap.
    Note that the case is an accessory. And that is literally the very first case anyone had made for it, since that board was in the initial pre-production run.

So, why exactly would one use it instead of some board with Atom etc ?
    That's funny, because a 10 Watt Apollo Lake Atom is exactly what replaced my Pi. It was about $100, without memory or PSU. I could've gone with a 6 Watt model, but it's running on A/C power and spends most of its time idling.

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6 GHz)Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1866 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

This is now 1.5 years old. Anyone interested should look at this, or one of the other Gemini Lake models.

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J5005 (up to 2.8 GHz)Supports DDR4 2133/2400 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

I just wish they came in something smaller - like mini-STX form factor.

I have no idea about that too, i have AMD AM1 from year 2014 it is like low power PC Desktop. That had a price back then about $120 that for top APU, mobo and 4 GB DDR3 memory. GPU Kabini in this Athlon 5350 is about 192 GFLOPS... it is not intended to, but i also run this fanless too
    The Pentium J4205's HD Graphics 505 provides between 57.6 (at base clock) and 216 fp32 GFLOPS (burst). Or you get double that performance, for fp16. As you see, it's designed to run fanless (a requirement of mine).

I'm sure you can put a big heatsink on the RK3399. If it's more power-efficient than what we're discussing, then that's one point in favor of it.

Also, I'm not aware of a Pi-class board with an Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake CPU for only ~$100. Up Board has an older-generation Atom starting at $89 (with 1 GB RAM), but it's both lower-power and lower-clocked. The Apollo Lake models start at $145 for dual-core (2 GB) or $229 for quad-core (4 GB).

Going back to the ODROID-N1, another thing to consider is that this isn't their first board at this price or performance level. I think the XU4 launched at around $89. Accordingly, they're probably aware of the market conditions around that price and power dissipation level.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/produ...=G143452239825
    Last edited by coder; 24 March 2018, 03:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post

True, but it's the OS supported by the much bragged about Foundation. It might add a nice dimension to see a comparison between Raspbian and some more optimized distro.
    Yes, it's true that Raspbian is what most people will run and it's certainly important to give them an idea what to expect when they use it. But should be labelled something like "RPI 3 running Raspbian", because the machine itself is capable of more. If someone likes the RPi but feels that it falls short of his needs on performance, it would be good to know whether changing the software is all it takes to get a noticeable boost.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    I have no idea about that too, i have AMD AM1 from year 2014 it is like low power PC Desktop. That had a price back then about $120 that for top APU, mobo and 4 GB DDR3 memory. GPU Kabini in this Athlon 5350 is about 192 GFLOPS... it is not intended to, but i also run this fanless too

What to say, from mine POV these SBCs make sense if bellow $100 price really - and nope, i don't like to see any fan on these

I even think If AMD update this low power line with something new low power desktop APU done with 14 nm or maybe even 12 nm, these SBCs above $100 will cry

So, why exactly would one use it instead of some board with Atom etc ?
    On that point, there is no points left - only point is just because it is ARM. So if someone wanna ARM, there is no much talk left.

When it comes to pricing people probably have no idea that difference between $50 to $100 down there is the same as difference of $500 to $1000 up there Both are double the price, could be already too much

That Asus Tinkerboard sounds most sexy to me here... it is $60, could be found for $50 with deal and is pretty much matured already when it comes to software.
    Last edited by dungeon; 24 March 2018, 01:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X