Coreboot Ready To Ship On Upcoming Purism Librem 13/15 Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    My laptop lasts around the same in the benchmark they used here where a laptop with switchable graphics (mine is also a HP envy 15) http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...97108/review/2

Although I replaced the HDD with a SSD.

And for the sake of stating the obvious, battery life is more a design decision than anything. My laptop could fit easily a 6-cell li-poly battery instead of a 3-cell one (same as most of their lineup anyway) without changing the chassis design and it would last a full day.
    All i'm saying is: same conditions applied, you do get more of an Intel processor. Furthermore Intel has those ULV Processors, which aren't nothing to write home about regarding performance, but paired with an SSD to well enough and you get even moar battery. For those people that travel alot or that are just lazy to plug it into the wall it's the best choice.

Personally, i don't really care much about battery life. All i need the the option to be able to move it easily between rooms. So while AMD is good enough for me and you, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, and that is normal IMO.

A bit off topic, but while you don't value discrete graphics much on a laptop, i would love for external graphics cards to be a thing. While keeping all my data in the same device, it would have mobility when i need it. Power if i'm at home, where i could also plug in an external monitor, keyboard, etc.
    Just to illustrate that different people have different needs and one size doesn't fit all.

Comment

What's the point of those notebooks if they're not 100 % blob-free?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        All i'm saying is: same conditions applied, you do get more of an Intel processor.
        And I'm saying that I need mobility AND a iGPU that does not totally suck, not just mobility. Of course I don't game when I don't have access to a wall plug. Good luck playing XCOM 1 with an Intel iGPU.

A bit off topic, but while you don't value discrete graphics much on a laptop, i would love for external graphics cards to be a thing. While keeping all my data in the same device, it would have mobility when i need it. Power if i'm at home, where i could also plug in an external monitor, keyboard, etc.
        Just to illustrate that different people have different needs and one size doesn't fit all.
        I would like that too if I could place a decent desktop processor in the laptop or at the very least a high-end mobile i7 (which is an actual quadcore with hyperthreading) without paying 2k for the laptop.

It's dumb to pair a discrete GPU to a ULV processor like 99.9% of i5/i7 in modern laptops (or on an A10-A12 for that matter), the CPU will bottleneck you and you'll still pay like decent gaming rig anyway (because laptops with thunderbolt or M.2 ports ain't that cheap + cost of enclosure + PSU that you would pay anyway for the rig).

Also, OpenSUSE KDE sucks at detecting an external screen (I'm seriously considering making a script to hook to a key so I can kick it brutally in "desktop screen on and integrated screen off or reverse").

Currently I just use Synchthing to sync data between devices when I get home and use the desktop.

Comment

aaand unapproved post for nomadewolf above

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
            What's the point of those notebooks if they're not 100 % blob-free?
            They do the best they can realistically do. 100% blob free is not possible with anything remotely new and performing. x86 of course.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              aaand unapproved post for nomadewolf above
              I get that alot.
              Is it some kind of bug?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                I get that alot.
                Is it some kind of bug?
                Yeah, it's the forum software's antispam system. It blocks posts it thinks are suspicious until Michael can see them and decide. The algorithm is apparently stupid and there are false positives. It was much worse a few months ago until Michael did something about it, but it seems it worsened lately.

Comment

Working...
                X