Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coreboot Ready To Ship On Upcoming Purism Librem 13/15 Laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coreboot Ready To Ship On Upcoming Purism Librem 13/15 Laptops

    Phoronix: Coreboot Ready To Ship On Upcoming Purism Librem 13/15 Laptops

    Purism is preparing to ship their updated Librem 13 and Librem 15 laptops with Coreboot...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ot-Librem-2017

  • #2
    I love the progress that they keep making on this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Agreement-in-number: “.. is ... their ...” should perhaps be either “... are ... their ...” or “... is ... its ...”.

      I know, there are other places in English where it can be much harder to decide...

      Comment


      • #4
        I think these folks are making a great company which will become more and more relevant with each passing year.

        Comment


        • #5
          Very nice product but they don't come cheap...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by microcode View Post
            I think these folks are making a great company which will become more and more relevant with each passing year.
            They don't even register on my radar until they make a decent AMD laptop with an APU that is not hobbled.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              They don't even register on my radar until they make a decent AMD laptop with an APU that is not hobbled.
              They could instead go the MacBook Pro route and do discrete AMD with Intel, at least at the larger form-factors. I don't think AMD is really very competitive in mobile workstations right now, even if I wish it were so.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by microcode View Post
                They could instead go the MacBook Pro route and do discrete AMD with Intel, at least at the larger form-factors.
                They would still not register on my radar. AMD A10-8700p in my laptop is perfectly fine for normal laptop use, some compilation (LEDE firmware) and some light gaming (also runs XCOM 1 for example), even if it is hobbled by single-channel RAM and 15w of TDP.

                I will never buy a laptop with dedicated graphics as I will likely never need that much power (nor I feel like having to deal with total shit linux support for dual graphics that isn't using NVIDIA's blob) and I prefer higher mobility and battery life.

                AMD's laptop stuff has a good enough IGPU for my needs (Intel's are meh) while not sacrificing significant amounts of CPU for that.

                I don't think AMD is really very competitive in mobile workstations right now, even if I wish it were so.
                Maybe not in mobile workstations, but in consumer laptops the main reason it isn't competitive is that idiot OEMs shovel them in single-channel boards and mount them in the same chassis they use for Intel's U processors so the power distribution and the cooling system can't handle more than 15 watts so they hobble them by using their 15w tdp mode.

                If the laptops could actually handle a 35 watt APU which is the actual power these APU were designed for, the CPU would have much more headroom for staying in boost clock speeds, same for iGPU. And the laptop would run better while still consuming less than a hybrid graphics laptop with a bullshit low-end semi-useless NVIDIA "dedicated" card like 930 or something.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  They would still not register on my radar. AMD A10-8700p in my laptop is perfectly fine for normal laptop use, some compilation (LEDE firmware) and some light gaming (also runs XCOM 1 for example), even if it is hobbled by single-channel RAM and 15w of TDP.

                  I will never buy a laptop with dedicated graphics as I will likely never need that much power (nor I feel like having to deal with total shit linux support for dual graphics that isn't using NVIDIA's blob) and I prefer higher mobility and battery life.

                  AMD's laptop stuff has a good enough IGPU for my needs (Intel's are meh) while not sacrificing significant amounts of CPU for that.

                  Maybe not in mobile workstations, but in consumer laptops the main reason it isn't competitive is that idiot OEMs shovel them in single-channel boards and mount them in the same chassis they use for Intel's U processors so the power distribution and the cooling system can't handle more than 15 watts so they hobble them by using their 15w tdp mode.

                  If the laptops could actually handle a 35 watt APU which is the actual power these APU were designed for, the CPU would have much more headroom for staying in boost clock speeds, same for iGPU. And the laptop would run better while still consuming less than a hybrid graphics laptop with a bullshit low-end semi-useless NVIDIA "dedicated" card like 930 or something.
                  While i share your enthusiasm fo AMD, i have to point out your flawed logic when you say you value battery life and want an AMD A10 rpocessor on a laptop...
                  An A10 APU is more than enough performance wise. But if battery life is a factor, Intel is the only way to go, unfortuantely.
                  Hopefully soon we get Ryzen APUs on laptops and all that changes...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                    While i share your enthusiasm fo AMD, i have to point out your flawed logic when you say you value battery life and want an AMD A10 rpocessor on a laptop...
                    My laptop lasts around the same in the benchmark they used here where a laptop with switchable graphics (mine is also a HP envy 15) http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...97108/review/2

                    Although I replaced the HDD with a SSD.

                    And for the sake of stating the obvious, battery life is more a design decision than anything. My laptop could fit easily a 6-cell li-poly battery instead of a 3-cell one (same as most of their lineup anyway) without changing the chassis design and it would last a full day.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X