Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSF Issues Statement Against Intel's Management Engine (ME)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read up a little about this management engine on Wikipedia and wow, this is scary stuff! Anyone that has the encryption keys has full and unrestricted access to your computer and it's impossible to stop it (locally, at least). Does anyone doubt that the NSA has full access to these keys? Of course they do, Intel is an American company and the NSA could easily demand to have them handed over, which they most likely already have. No one is safe with this technology!

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
      I read up a little about this management engine on Wikipedia and wow, this is scary stuff! Anyone that has the encryption keys has full and unrestricted access to your computer and it's impossible to stop it (locally, at least). Does anyone doubt that the NSA has full access to these keys? Of course they do, Intel is an American company and the NSA could easily demand to have them handed over, which they most likely already have. No one is safe with this technology!
      They'd probably also cover their tracks by making Intel claim there was a security breech which resulted in the keys being stolen by unknown party. NSA's direct involvement with anything can never be proved

Comment

I think tinfoil would not be enough. I'm donning a full metal helmet now.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I think tinfoil would not be enough. I'm donning a full metal helmet now.
          With a lightning rod on it?

Comment

remember too that three letter agencies do not necessarily have to officially demand anything from large corporations. they are known to plant their own people within these corporations, so they can influence what happens from the inside. there likely is no official demanding of access to this even needed. honestly, why do you think something like the ME exists in the first place? the merging of corporate and state interests is nothing new, has been accelerating for quite some time, and this is the sort of fruit it bears.

Comment

Intel's Management Engine (ME) is a pile of crap!

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                With a lightning rod on it?
                How did you know I like helmets with a spike on them, austro-ungaric empire style....
                Damnit the helmet it's not enough! Need to don also chainmail.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
                  remember too that three letter agencies do not necessarily have to officially demand anything from large corporations. they are known to plant their own people within these corporations, so they can influence what happens from the inside. there likely is no official demanding of access to this even needed. honestly, why do you think something like the ME exists in the first place? the merging of corporate and state interests is nothing new, has been accelerating for quite some time, and this is the sort of fruit it bears.
                  Three letter agencies?

You mean IBM and KFC have spies everywhere? I knew it!

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                    Over time there's becoming fewer and fewer options for general purpose hardware you're able to hack up however you like. It's kinda sad really, given the customers spending money on these products really should have the ability to modify how the product they own works in whatever way they like.
                    I wish such companies could be sued. If Intel AME can be proven to be leaking data without user consent, I think this should stand a chance to be challenged in court.

Comment

Working...
                    X