Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FSF Issues Statement Against Intel's Management Engine (ME)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Issues Statement Against Intel's Management Engine (ME)

Phoronix: FSF Issues Statement Against Intel's Management Engine (ME)

The Free Software Foundation is a bit late to the party, but have finally come out publicly against Intel's Management Engine (ME)...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ues-Against-ME

Cool, they have got the word from their new friends at Libreboot.

Still hoping for Zen to save the day, but I'm not really counting on it.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 06-10-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Cool, they must have got the word from their new friends at Libreboot.
      FSF has been issuing "Respect Your Freedom" and similar certifications for Libreboot/Gluglug/Minfree hardware and such for a while, by no mean "new" friends.. No idea why it's taken this long for FSF to comment on ME.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

*puts on tinfoil hat* they accepted that they can no longer combat opensource software so they gave on using microsoft. Now they can spy on you no matter what OS you use. There is no way intel/amd is going to open up.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          FSF has been issuing "Respect Your Freedom" and similar certifications for Libreboot/Gluglug/Minfree hardware and such for a while, by no mean "new" friends.. No idea why it's taken this long for FSF to comment on ME.
          They were just awarding certifications, not getting involved.

Afaik Libreboot became part of the GNU project lately, so they became "close friends" to the FSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Leverage. Demanding Intel to remove ME or hand over the private singing key and specifications when there's no competition or alternatives to Intel's and AMD's hardware would have achieved nothing while weakening the FSF's efforts in other areas. But waiting for now when the market is being flooded with cheap laptop-capable ARM SoCs and Talos is cooking a POWER8 workstation means Intel and AMD can be pressured.

Comment

Over time there's becoming fewer and fewer options for general purpose hardware you're able to hack up however you like. It's kinda sad really, given the customers spending money on these products really should have the ability to modify how the product they own works in whatever way they like.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                Over time there's becoming fewer and fewer options for general purpose hardware you're able to hack up however you like. It's kinda sad really, given the customers spending money on these products really should have the ability to modify how the product they own works in whatever way they like.
                What if you didn't actually purchase the product itself? What if AMD/Intel still owns the product and you don't? What if, instead of purchasing the product, you purchased an unlimited license to have possession of and operate the product in a manner as stated in AMD's/Intel's EULAs?

This is, of course, legal guff and is in no way an accurate reflection of reality. This is also the scummiest way these tech companies can go about trying to control what the user can do with their purchase.

Comment

On my windows 7 there are now afew hardware devices with question marks which internet sources says it's related to intel Management Engine.
                  While in the past I woul've turned on find drivers on internet and solve all these question marks, now I don't want to install anything anymore from Intel.
                  This looked fishy to me and I didn't install it an my computer is working just fine without it.
                  I don't want any spyware on my computer and I'm tired of these bullshit companies trying to install it.
                  It's enought that I have to deal with spyware from Microsoft.
                  So my my word to Intel is fuck you, you assholes!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    On my windows 7 there are now afew hardware devices with question marks which internet sources says it's related to intel Management Engine.
                    While in the past I woul've turned on find drivers on internet and solve all these question marks, now I don't want to install anything anymore from Intel.
                    This looked fishy to me and I didn't install it an my computer is working just fine without it.
                    I don't want any spyware on my computer and I'm tired of these bullshit companies trying to install it.
                    It's enought that I have to deal with spyware from Microsoft.
                    So my my word to Intel is fuck you, you assholes!
                    I don't know anything about windows use, but I believe you may have done right. Anyway, youa re still controlled by intel, intel's government, intel future owners, governments of intel future governments, successful attackers, extorters or defectors of any of the previous actors, etc. The software controlling your computer is in the chips. The software you are rejecting is just an interface to the controlling software that you can't opt out of. Your decision may have prevented you from accessing crippled media with DRM or one day maybe your bank or election poll access, but is not preventing intel, etc. to control your data, what you do, etc. Yet preventing your access to this options is good because it limits its acceptance in society (by one more person), therefore its value, and puts a little grain of sand in its social gears.
                    I haven't checked every single fact and I don't use windows nor follow it with any interest, so don't take my message for gospel.

Comment

Working...
                    X