• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toyotabedzrock
    replied
    Sanity check your conspiracies please

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    With UEFI-secure-boot the freedom of choice died.

You are not a Free Human you are a slave of big company?s like Microsoft or Red-Hat!

That is the next-generation in the Nazi-Corporatism plan.

Only Company do have rights and with more money in the share-hold of the company the right grow up.

Xbox and PS3 prove that the company?s can do whatever they like with the "consumer" because they don't have any rights.

O well yes you have the right to not buy Xbox,PS3,blue-ray(),dvd(css copy-protection),UEFI-secure hardware and in the next generation CPU's with build in DRM like Intel TCPA trusted computing and so one and so one.

In other words you do have the right to DIE!

You do not have the right to participate in the society because all "digital-land" is "private" and you have to give up all your rights to Google,Facebook,Microsoft,Sony,Valve if you want to contact your friends on there "platform" like "steam" .

And there "house right" gives them the power to kick you out in no time.

Welcome to the new world of no-human-rights in the digital land of the Internet-New-World-Order

I find it best to sanity check my forum posts. You might want to try the same so that you actually accomplish the change you seek.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by mjg59 View Post
    You mean the site that lists this specific piece of hardware as certified?

Mathew, any word back from lenovo yet?

Leave a comment:

• mjg59
    replied
    Originally posted by amehaye View Post
    Make sure that you only buy hardware which is certified to run Linux:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/ - pre-assembled hardware
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/ - individual components
    You mean the site that lists this specific piece of hardware as certified?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Sucks

Wow, this sucks!

What a major mistake to check for hardcoded strings?

I am glad they're looking into it. This is just embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    What i meant about details in the other post was precisely *how* and you where exacly put that file...and if is simply a empty file or if there is something inside it...
    Sorry. Didn't get that. However the motherboard you will choose might have a sane UEFI implementation and it will just work without this crap.

When you will built your UEFI system you will create a FAT partition which will have the .efi files needed to boot the system. ie. (mount point)\EFI\Your_Distro\whatever.efi This is the In my case i had to create a (mount point)\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi which is just a renamed Tianocore UEFI shell in order to make the entries i created with efibootmgr (or bcfg) appear.

Leave a comment:

• enrico.tagliavini
    replied
    Originally posted by amehaye View Post
    Make sure that you only buy hardware which is certified to run Linux:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/ - pre-assembled hardware
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/ - individual components

they don't even list system76. anyway I don't give a damn if the hardware is certified by canonical, I want support from the hardware vendor

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    I don't have secure boot enabled and its not related to it. Its just the firmware that checks for this file probably. If i don't have it boot entries created with efibootmgr don't appear.
    What i meant about details in the other post was precisely *how* and you where exacly put that file...and if is simply a empty file or if there is something inside it...

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    So is that another problem not related to secure boot or why can u not disable secure boot? is there no such option?
    I don't have secure boot enabled and its not related to it. Its just the firmware that checks for this file probably. If i don't have it boot entries created with efibootmgr don't appear.

Leave a comment:

• WorBlux
    replied
    Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    Only a complete tool ? you mean fool right?

Make it complex and there will be many errors that?s UEFI.
    Make it simple and there will be much less errors that?s COREBOOT.

We will see many more of these kind of problems.

By accident,stupidity or even by evil conspiracy.

We do not know the real cause but we know that UEFI is not a solution build with freedom in mind.
    Even TianoCore and top of coreboot would be better as you wouldn't need to relly on the vendor to fix bugs or make changes.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    LOL....but please do tell details....my rig uses a regular BIOS and when the time comes, i want to be ready to bypass that crap....
    Well its not about bypassing anything. UEFI is nice, bypasses bootloaders and works if the firmware engineers implement the whole thing the right way. The problem had nothing to do with secure boot or anything like it. Probably someone at the firmware department thought it would be the right thing to do since they only care about windows.

And part of the problem is me that thought: "Hmmm Intel. They give back to FOSS. I ll buy their motherboard". Never again.

Apart from the booting issue the motherboard also had another bug which forces me to boot it with "irqpoll". And this brings me to the "Linux supports more HW than anything" thing. Linux might do that but the manufacturers don't support Linux so you are back to zero if the problem cannot be solved at kernel/driver level.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X