Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• necro-lover
    replied
    In my point of view "Hanlon's razor" is not the case at this point because even a perfect UEFI or a UEFI+secure boot without any bugs is in fact malice.

On the other side malice+bugs is even more evil.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    True, you need an account but so would you on a jabber server. But then I use https://code.google.com/p/pidgin-opensteamworks and it works reasonably well for text messages.
    Are you sure that you don't break the law by doing this?

Another problem is company?s like facebook start to check the account identity by mTAN and in Germany this force you to break laws if you want to protect your privacy and anonymity against facebook. Because you need to fake a handy-sim card with wrong personal data and this alone is against the law in Germany.

Leave a comment:

• Wilfred
    replied
    Originally posted by disi View Post
    The next computer I buy, I am going to ask the vendor and want in written paper that nothing is locked down...
    Yes, me too. Fortunately where I live I can make this stick, i.e. if it doesn't I can undo the sale.

Leave a comment:

• necro-lover
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    No, but on the other hand, only a complete tool thinks that stupid shit like that happens because of some on-high corporate policy and not just because of an incompetent programmer who didn't think through what he was doing and half-ass fixed some other bug or misinterpreted spec.
    The classic corollary to Occam's Razor always holds true: never ascribe to malevolence that which can be explained by stupidity.
    Only a complete tool ? you mean fool right?

Make it complex and there will be many errors that?s UEFI.
    Make it simple and there will be much less errors that?s COREBOOT.

We will see many more of these kind of problems.

By accident,stupidity or even by evil conspiracy.

We do not know the real cause but we know that UEFI is not a solution build with freedom in mind.

Leave a comment:

• Bbox
    replied
    Lenovo != IBM, not even a cheapcheap copy. They just ask for same prices IBM did before.

Aparently higher-end thinkpads are still designed by IBM, but quality has gone way down. On the hardware as the software level.

Leave a comment:

• disi
    replied
    netxt computer

The next computer I buy, I am going to ask the vendor and want in written paper that nothing is locked down...

Leave a comment:

• drago01
    replied
    Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    With UEFI-secure-boot the freedom of choice died.
    With UEFI SB reading comprehension died ... this has nothing to do with secure boot.

Leave a comment:

• AJSB
    replied
    This kind of problems can only potentially affect PC bought with a M$ OS pre-installed , right ?

or

If one of these days i decide to DIY a new rig and buy a brand new MB can i also be in danger to buy a MB with an UEFI that at 1st boot will right away reject a vannila Linux Distro ?

I'm talking in general terms and not about a specific brand of MB...

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    With UEFI-secure-boot the freedom of choice died. [...]
    Are you sure you're not Q? Because you really sound like him.

Leave a comment:

• a user
    replied
    Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    No, but on the other hand, only a complete tool thinks that stupid shit like that happens because of some on-high corporate policy and not just because of an incompetent programmer who didn't think through what he was doing and half-ass fixed some other bug or misinterpreted spec.

The classic corollary to Occam's Razor always holds true: never ascribe to malevolence that which can be explained by stupidity.
    an explicit check for "windows" and "red hat" is NOT a mistake made due to stupidity!

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    slave of big company?s
    Nazi-Corporatism
    you do have the right to DIE!
    new world of no-human-rights
    Internet-New-World-Order

you have to give up all your rights to [...] Valve if you want to contact your friends on there "platform" like "steam" .
    *their.
    True, you need an account but so would you on a jabber server. But then I use https://code.google.com/p/pidgin-opensteamworks and it works reasonably well for text messages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X