Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Will Take Over Intel's NUC Systems Line Moving Ahead

Phoronix: ASUS Will Take Over Intel's NUC Systems Line Moving Ahead

Intel announced this evening they agreed to a term sheet with ASUS for manufacturing, selling, and supporting the Next Unit of Compute (more commonly known as NUCs) from 10th to 13th generation systems and to develop future NUC system designs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, it seems the key thing is they'll feature the NUC brand. I wonder if that lets ASUS brand anything as a NUC, or only the ones based on Intel's designs.

ASUS will receive a non-exclusive license to Intel’s NUC systems product line designs
    Sounds like there also might be others.
    Last edited by coder; 18 July 2023, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Chinese mini PCs are much, much more affordable and some even have exotic CPU options.

No loss at all.

Comment

Ha! So now we can get overpriced, underpowered systems from a vendor with horrible support. Where do I sign?

Comment

Dear ASUS, just finally put a FREAKING 2nd network interface on them and you will sell MANY more than Intel ever did when they refused to make them useful for home servers.

Comment

Originally posted by milo_hoffman View Post
            Dear ASUS, just finally put a FREAKING 2nd network interface on them and you will sell MANY more than Intel ever did when they refused to make them useful for home servers.
            Apparently a USB3 Ethernet adapter is rocket science to people wanting to make home servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Apparently a USB3 Ethernet adapter is rocket science to people wanting to make home servers.
              Apparently some chinsey ass adapter ain't gonna entice me to spend $400+ on a system not good enough out of the box for what I need. Not acceptable for any reputable brand to say that to a paying customer. Rofl, what a joke of an idea. Plus, they both should be at least 2.5GBe today, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Chinese mini PCs are much, much more affordable and some even have exotic CPU options.
                Even when properly imported and supported?

I'd hazard a guess one reason they're cheaper is that they use parts sold at a discount, with the intent that they'd be made for the Chinese market. If they were truly made for export to the US (which is what would need to happen for them to address the US market at scale), then they probably wouldn't be quite so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by milo_hoffman View Post
                  ServeTheHome reviews a lot of mini systems with an eye towards such needs:

I think there's a lot to like about that one, if you can get past its case being a big dust trap.
                  Last edited by coder; 18 July 2023, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Intel NUCs are pretty and solid with the high quality build, i hope the line continue.
                    Last edited by chromer; 18 July 2023, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X