Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Rack EPYCD8 Series Make For Great Value AMD EPYC Motherboards With Rome Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    On geizhals.de
    ASUS KPNA-U16 353€
    Supermicro H11SSL-i 370€

But I think with both mobos you have to ensure to get the second revision with 32 MB BIOS/UEFI flash.
    Unfortunately the ASUS board doesn't support Rome. The Supermicro does support Rome only as a "Rev 2" model, similar to ASRock Rack. Unfortunately the ones at $399 USD at least from US retailers appears to be Rev 1 still.

(I had been searching for several weeks to figure out the best value Rome motherboard, so far it still is the ASRock Rack EPYCD8 AFAIK.)
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am waiting for a 2p board to support Rome before moving on from my 4x6378 opteron system. These seem to be taking a long time to be available from most manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

In terms of real-world use though, are there many ROCm users with EPYC + Vega consumer cards? Just as I assumed from the original comment, the focus was on loading it up with multiple cards for ROCm tests. So just wasn't sure if there was a lot of EPYC + consumer card usage as well as how well ROCm works these days when multiple cards are not the same model?
        UNIX-Prominenz wählte Schach-Eröffnung: 39 Jahre alte BSD-Passwörter geknackt

'ken is done:

ZghOT0eRm4U9s/q2-q4!

took 4+ days on an AMD Radeon Vega64 running hashcat at about 930MH/s
        during that time (those familiar know the hash-rate fluctuates and
        slows down towards the end).'

=> Ken Thompson
        'congrats.'

;-)

Comment

Unfortunately the ASUS board doesn't support Rome.
          It does if it is Rev. 2. The ASUS support page however seems not updated yet. And even if you have the first revision with 16 MB BIOS flash, a computerbase.de user contacted ASUS support and they offered that he could send in the (socketed) BIOS flash chip and they would flash a version which supports Rome (but no longer Naples).

https://www.computerbase.de/forum/th...#post-23167052

The Supermicro does support Rome only as a "Rev 2" model, similar to ASRock Rack. Unfortunately the ones at $399 USD at least from US retailers appears to be Rev 1 still.
          The Supermicro mobos that Newegg sold as bundle with Epyc 7002 CPUs definitely were Rev. 2. The ones sold individually however, at least until recently, were still Rev. 1 indeed. So if you are in the US the best value would have been the Newegg bundle.

Comment

[Update:]
            I would like to inform you that I was recently able to establish a validated TLS connection by adding an s in the URL: https:// instead of http://
            This was previously impossible.

[Old text:]
            BE CAREFUL!!!

ASRock does not offer TLS encrypted downloads when you have to update your UEFI/BIOS!!!

You have to live with the risk that you become victim of a MITM-attack slipping you a compromised UEFI/BIOS stealing your IP!

I can‘t recommend any of these until this fundamental fail will get fixed. TLS is really just the completely essential minimum security for file transfer.
            Last edited by oooverclocker; 21 February 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

In terms of real-world use though, are there many ROCm users with EPYC + Vega consumer cards? Just as I assumed from the original comment, the focus was on loading it up with multiple cards for ROCm tests. So just wasn't sure if there was a lot of EPYC + consumer card usage as well as how well ROCm works these days when multiple cards are not the same model?
              Fair point - I wasn't thinking about it as multi-GPU focus, will go back and check.

I think ROCM usage is mostly either (consumer CPU + consumer GPU) or (server CPU + Instinct GPU), but the ROCm behaviour should be similar other than premium features like XGMI links, large BAR support, server-type cooling and full FP64 speed. I believe single GPU perf should be similar other than FP64.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by zephyrhawk View Post
                I am waiting for a 2p board to support Rome before moving on from my 4x6378 opteron system. These seem to be taking a long time to be available from most manufacturers.
                The market sweet spot for Epyc is to reduce socket use in the datacenters typically, so 1P is going to be pretty popular, but the 2P layouts do exist. In fact HPE markets their Epyc line exactly that way "2P performance in a 1P format"

Supermicro H11D in 10GbE and 1GbE format both in EATX format
                https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/compare?sku=H11DSi-NT,H11DSi

Dell only has (2) 2P form factors and both are rack mount formats.

Comment

Originally posted by zephyrhawk View Post
                  You can replace that entire 4 socket system with a single EPYC and likely save on your power bill while having twice the threads. Unless I suppose you need the memory support that dual CPU sockets gets you.

Although I think a dual socket EPYC with 3 TB of RAM is going to cost in the hundred-thousand dollar range in which case why would you build your own.

Comment

The Supermicro does support Rome only as a "Rev 2" model, similar to ASRock Rack. Unfortunately the ones at $399 USD at least from US retailers appears to be Rev 1 still.
                    In case this is still relevant: I just came across a report on STH forums from someone who confirmed with superbiiz.com that they sell the Supermicro H11SSL-NC Rev. 2. That post is dated 8th October.

Trying to find this board (Revision 2) but none of the retailers seem to be able to confirm what revision the boards they have are. H11SSL-NC | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Comment

I recently picked up a new Supermicro chassis in preparation for a future upgrade to Epyc. I purchased from an official Supermicro reseller and inquired as to when ATX form-factor H12 boards would hit the market. It sounds like Supermicro is targeting ~December to drop the new boards which will include PCIEv4.

Comment

Working...
                      X