System76 Granted A Thunderbolt License To Integrate Into Their Open Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    As for hating on TB, IIRC, USB 4.0 is going to basically "merge" with TB, where they basically become synonymous. Like it or not, it's part of the future.
    Merging TB with USB4 only means that some select devices with USB4 will have TB capability (not necessarily stated anywhere), cable compatibility with this will become unknown, and house fires will be pending.

Which is why Intel has kept the trademark for "Thunderbolt" name/logo. Because they want to be able to use it to show people that a particular device can do something, instead of guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      So they can offer a device with a working Thunderbolt port instead of a device with a non-functional port?
      I suppose I am biased because it is very unlikely I need Thunderbolt but they could just seal up the port like it was never there in the first place. I am quite sure that they wouldn't lose any customers because the types of customers looking to get a "somewhat" libre machine is happy to make some compromises.

Or better, snap the thunderbolt chip off the board and replace the whole thing with an RS-232 port

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        I suppose I am biased because it is very unlikely I need Thunderbolt but they could just seal up the port like it was never there in the first place.
        Sure, but isn't better to actually offer it where is present?

I am quite sure that they wouldn't lose any customers because the types of customers looking to get a "somewhat" libre machine is happy to make some compromises.
        Possible. What about gaining customers if they actually support it?
        Is trying to grow their businness a bad thing?

Or better, snap the thunderbolt chip off the board and replace the whole thing with an RS-232 port
        Not pin-compatible, mostly useless (USB-serial converters are cheap and plentiful, same for USB hubs), and highly dangerous considering how big the Thunderbolt IC is and how much stuff goes to it.

Comment

They are just making firmware for Clevo laptops, they can't choose what hardware and port go in the system.
          Which is funny, 'cause earlier, it was said (not sure if you or someone else) that System76 couldn't offer an AMD laptop because Clevo didn't use AMD hardware, but shortly after, S76 announced an AMD laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            Which is funny, 'cause earlier, it was said (not sure if you or someone else) that System76 couldn't offer an AMD laptop because Clevo didn't use AMD hardware, but shortly after, S76 announced an AMD laptop.
            Not finding said announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              It makes me wonder why they would spend time and money on this?
              Thunderbolt is not important enough for this added license encumberment to be worth it for a user who has specifically tried to purchase an "open" (as much as possible) machine.
              Thunderbolt is incredibly useful. I use it every day with a Dell docking station. You know one major reason TB is great? Because I connect a Lenovo T580 to that Dell and it just works. Because it is a standard and not some made-up Dell or Lenovo invention.

I get one connection to multiple desktop monitors, USB ports, audio, gigabit Ethernet and power. If I wanted to spend a bit more, I could replace that Dell TB16 with a graphics card enclosure which would do everything the dock does, plus give access to a real GPU.

And yes, all of this does work in Linux.

Thunderbolt isn't even much of a security problem. You've got user-approval for what devices are allowed to connect. You've got IOMMU. It's pretty safe.

Comment

The fact that they needed to pay for a license to get it working in the first place makes it pointless. Their firmware will become a patent bomb, and people might be reluctant to even contribute to it because of potential legal issues.

Comment

Not finding said announcement.
                  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...6-Thelio-Specs
                  https://news.softpedia.com/news/system76-s-linux-powered-thelio-desktops-now-available-with-amd-ryzen-gen-3-cpus-526673.shtml

Comment

What are you talking about? Those are desktops (the motherboard vendor is Gigabyte), not laptops.

Gigabyte manufactures AMD boards, so System76 can provide AMD desktop, Clevo does not, so System76 cannot provide AMD laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                      Fuck Thunderbolt. Fuck Intel. Fuck Apple.

Comment

Working...
                      X