No announcement yet.

System76 Granted A Thunderbolt License To Integrate Into Their Open Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Granted A Thunderbolt License To Integrate Into Their Open Firmware

Phoronix: System76 Granted A Thunderbolt License To Integrate Into Their Open Firmware

Linux laptop/PC vendor System76 has become a Thunderbolt licensee so that they can officially offer support for it in the Coreboot-based open-source system firmware initiative they are pursuing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

their good looking desktops should be sold also out of the US, don't you think?
    and a bit less Nvidia please

Comment

Fuck Thunderbolt. Fuck Intel. Fuck Apple.

Comment

Thunderbolt will be USB 4 soon. Intel does a lot for Free Software and Apple used to do much for it (CUPS and WebKit), too, although this seems to have declined recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
          Seems like you give a lot of fucks.

Comment

You forgot nvidia, and their horrible/none opensource drivers support for latest geforce cards,...

Comment

What's wrong with thunderbolt?

Comment

It makes me wonder why they would spend time and money on this?
                Thunderbolt is not important enough for this added license encumberment to be worth it for a user who has specifically tried to purchase an "open" (as much as possible) machine.

These guys are either clowns or not entirely honest people.

Comment

That's pretty cool, though, I assume the TB firmware itself is still closed-source? Not that it really matters to me, just wondering.

As for hating on TB, IIRC, USB 4.0 is going to basically "merge" with TB, where they basically become synonymous. Like it or not, it's part of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    It makes me wonder why they would spend time and money on this?
                    So they can offer a device with a working Thunderbolt port instead of a device with a non-functional port?

They are just making firmware for Clevo laptops, they can't choose what hardware and port go in the system.

Comment

Working...
                    X