System76 Granted A Thunderbolt License To Integrate Into Their Open Firmware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    Fuck Thunderbolt. Fuck Intel. Fuck Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post

Seems like you give a lot of fucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        The fact that they needed to pay for a license to get it working in the first place makes it pointless. Their firmware will become a patent bomb, and people might be reluctant to even contribute to it because of potential legal issues.
        That's not the kind of license being discussed here. Thunderbolt is a trademarked technology, so in order to develop and distribute systems using it, you need to have a license to use the trademark and access the technical documentation of the thunderbolt spec. It has nothing to do with the license on any part of the firmware, nor with the firmware's license itself. It's basically license to use the name "Thunderbolt" and to put that into a product.
        Last edited by isantop; 08-01-2019, 11:43 AM. Reason: Clarify the license in question.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          The fact that they needed to pay for a license to get it working in the first place makes it pointless. Their firmware will become a patent bomb, and people might be reluctant to even contribute to it because of potential legal issues.
          The blob won't be redistributable I guess, but I don't see how that is a "patent bomb" in any way.

Comment

not a laptop (as others said)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

not a laptop (as others said)
              You're right, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                The blob won't be redistributable I guess, but I don't see how that is a "patent bomb" in any way.
                There is no blob. See the comment above yours. It's a license to use the trademark, not a license to a binary blob.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  There is no blob. See the comment above yours. It's a license to use the trademark, not a license to a binary blob.
                  Ok, so they got the license only for the trademark, that's fine.

But afaik Thunderbolt does need a blob to work, that has to come from somewhere. I'm pretty sure Thunderbolt documentation isn't through enough for a fully free firmware, and knowing Intel it will probably need the ME or some other low-level agent to validate checksums before loading, so you can't run custom code on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X