Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I'm pretty certain Goldmont architectures are in order pipelines,
    Nope. Even Silvermont was out-of-order. No need to be "pretty certain" about it - this is an easy fact to check. I'm pretty certain even you could do it!

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/m...tures/goldmont

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    It'll never do well on lightly or single threaded workloads, and that's almost all of them, but it might do well on process parallel workloads like compile farms though.
    I wish he had included some single-threaded ones, but many that he did are compute-bound. This makes it pretty straight-forward to look at how it compares to Skylake cores.

And BTW, it actually did rather poorly on the Linux kernel compilation benchmark (one he actually did run). These are not for compile farms - they're for mostly I/O bound applications + appliances (like NAS).

Comment

Originally posted by heliosh View Post
      C3000 is Denverton, not Goldmont. Denverton does out-of-order, at least the FPU.
      Denverton is the SoC, whereas Goldmont is the core architecture. Denverton is built around Goldmont cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        This is a glimpse of the cpu Intel could offer if it actually wanted to. Imagine one of these with a slightly higher clock speed and AVX-512.
        They actually did build that!* It's called Xeon Phi (Knights Landing).

https://ark.intel.com/products/serie...Product-Family

Not only that - it uses 16 GB of HMC + 6-channel DDR4. And it still can't match GPUs in deep learning. Not even the x205 series.

* Note: Knights Landing (KNL) actually uses modified (4x hyperthreading + AVX-512) Silvermont cores - which are earlier, but also OoO. I guess the Goldmont cores weren't ready in time, because the early rumors were that it'd be Goldmont-based.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          The question is, however, a) the price
          SoC pricing is here:

You can save a lot, if you go down to 8 cores or below. I think those are aimed at the NAS market.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
            For the AVX-512 you'll want at least quad channel DDR4-2666. And some TDP. So in that case Intel has full fat CPUs instead e.g. Xeon Gold 5119T is perhaps the closer one to your wish list with 14 cores, dual AVX-512 per core, 85W and six DDR4-2400 channels to feed that.
            The Xeon W series (i.e. their workstation-oriented line) has AVX-512, at slightly more accessible prices. I'm not 100% sure all models have both units per core enabled. So, it's worth checking, if you care about that.

Comment

BTW, anyone simply wanting a low-cost, low-power board w/ GPU should have a look at ASRock's J4205-ITX

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6 GHz)Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1866 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

You do give up ECC and you get only 4 cores, but it features the same Goldmont cores and you get a GPU that's about 50% as fast as those found in desktop Skylakes. It also has other desktop features, like audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                This is a glimpse of the cpu Intel could offer if it actually wanted to. Imagine one of these with a slightly higher clock speed and AVX-512. Same goes for AMD.
                It's still an Atom. Its single-core performance sucks ass, just like the previous gens. It's great on light multithreading loads where I/O is king, but still not anywhere as good as Xeons that also have far higher IPC.

There is a reason it's still sold for server and industrial usage, and NOT for consumer usage anymore.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 February 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Um, what is that? ROM?
                  Yes, dual ROM chips on a socket that makes them removable.

That's a great setup if you want to remove Intel ME.

Theoretically also my mini-itx boards from SuperMicro should have had that socket, but the images aren't 100% the same as the product I guess so mine just has a soldered chip.

Comment

Nope. Even Silvermont was out-of-order. No need to be "pretty certain" about it - this is an easy fact to check. I'm pretty certain even you could do it!

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/m...tures/goldmont

I wish he had included some single-threaded ones, but many that he did are compute-bound. This makes it pretty straight-forward to look at how it compares to Skylake cores.

And BTW, it actually did rather poorly on the Linux kernel compilation benchmark (one he actually did run). These are not for compile farms - they're for mostly I/O bound applications + appliances (like NAS).
                    Yeah, I was corrected on that, which prompted me to look into it. Thanks, good info.

Comment

BTW, anyone simply wanting a low-cost, low-power board w/ GPU should have a look at ASRock's J4205-ITX

ASRock Super AlloyIntel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J4205 (up to 2.6 GHz)Supports DDR3/DDR3L 1866 SO-DIMM1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E)Graphics Output Options: D-Sub, HDMI, DVI-D7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps4 SATA34 USB 3.1 Gen1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop

You do give up ECC and you get only 4 cores, but it features the same Goldmont cores and you get a GPU that's about 50% as fast as those found in desktop Skylakes. It also has other desktop features, like audio.
                      That thing totally defies the point though. It does not have ECC and is just a quad? (and its IPC also sucks because it's an Atom derivative)

It's FAR better to get a socketed Pentium/Celeron for that kind of market.

Comment

Working...
                      X