Intel Atom C3950 + Tyan Tempest S3227

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heliosh View Post
    C3000 is Denverton, not Goldmont. Denverton does out-of-order, at least the FPU.
    Denverton is a new version of Goldmont that replaces Apollo Lake.
    • 80668 (Apollo Lake)
    • 80765 (Denverton)
    Atom
    14 nm transistors
    Goldmont x86
    MMX, AES-NI, CLMUL

Comment

C3000 is Denverton, not Goldmont. Denverton does out-of-order, at least the FPU.
      Denverton is one of the goldmont architectures. But yeah I just double checked and you are right, it is out of order. It's 3-way in fact. So I guess it probably is vulnerable to the recent spectre and meltdown stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        Denverton is a new version of Goldmont that replaces Apollo Lake.
        No, Goldmont is an architecture used in Apollo Lake and Denverton.
        Apollo Lake is a class of SoCs for various purposes such as mobile devices, and Denverton is for servers.

Comment

This is a glimpse of the cpu Intel could offer if it actually wanted to. Imagine one of these with a slightly higher clock speed and AVX-512. Same goes for AMD.

Comment

I'm an AMD folk, but I could see Tyan S32272NR-C538 being used as a router, as I only need PCIe x2 for a 10Gb SFP+ network card for my internal network and 1 Gigabit port for connection to a cable modem. And given that the TDP is 15W, that's what I'd like!

Could the motherboard with a CPU that has a 15W TDP be used as an OpenStack controller when setting this up with MAAS/Juju? I'm planning to have two storage servers each serving different purposes. One server node having containers for Plex Media Server, UniFi Controller, and a third server node for other purposes such as NVR for PoE video cameras.

I want to learn about OpenStack and I thought I could put OpenStack to use as not just a home server lab, but in a home production environment. And of course, I could have a backup server.

Sure, that's a lot to spend, but lets just say that I plan to do something like this in the future, so I could get certified in OpenStack once I get certified in Network+ at World Services for the Blind. I'm already A+ certified, so having multiple servers, although overkill in a home environment, is a learning opportunity for me to learn about OpenStack. Plus, having TDP as low as 25W is an important factor for me.

Of course, I am wondering if AMD could offer something to those who might want to have an embedded solution with a low-powered CPU.

Comment

Looks like a promising chip. I expect the next iXsystems Freenas will use this c3950. As for QuickAssist, Intel can keep it. Why anyone would pretend to like QuickAssist... it's just a marketing bot or some lazy admin.

Comment

AMD fanboy here, too, but this one does look like a nice little box. The TDP is convincing, for raw power I'd need more comparisons. But 16 cores at that TDP is just fancy (of course they also had those Knights with really many many tiny cores). The question is, however, a) the price and b) do these things come with any Coreboot compatibility or are they locked down intel-ME things and full blown UEFI crapware?
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                  This is a glimpse of the cpu Intel could offer if it actually wanted to. Imagine one of these with a slightly higher clock speed and AVX-512. Same goes for AMD.
                  Most servers will still run Xeon E5 or something in the same class. The reason is running web backends written in PHP, node.js, java, .NET etc. by average developers. If stuff runs 200ms slower you look less competent.
                  On desktop likewise it would be a great CPU for many things, but have its pants beaten in games by 4GHz Haswell and 4GHz Ryzen. So you can edit 4K videos but games get stuck at 30 fps.

For the AVX-512 you'll want at least quad channel DDR4-2666. And some TDP. So in that case Intel has full fat CPUs instead e.g. Xeon Gold 5119T is perhaps the closer one to your wish list with 14 cores, dual AVX-512 per core, 85W and six DDR4-2400 channels to feed that.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    As for QuickAssist, Intel can keep it. Why anyone would pretend to like QuickAssist... it's just a marketing bot or some lazy admin.
                    Why do you say this? Quickassist can provide massive performance increases in relevant workloads.

Comment

That's a nice board. Look at the attention to details:
                      https://i.imgur.com/KkaEAE8.jpg
                      Um, what is that? ROM?

Too bad the CPU lacks AVX. I guess it would have become a too strong competitor for Xeons.
                      Skylake Xeon D will support AVX-512.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12387...els-price-list

Of course, it's not as budget-friendly as the Atom C-series, which tops out well below where the D starts.

Comment

Working...
                      X