The Radeon RX Vega Makes A Nod To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Not sure myself either, but I recall that in michigan you can exchange bottles and cans for change. They probably have a decent infrastructure built for waste processing and recycling there.
    Being from Michigan originally, no they don't really have good recycling infrastructure in most areas. In regards to exchanging bottles/cans for change, it really is just among the handful of US states to mandate such recycling on the state level...

But you aren't getting paid to return the cans/bottles, it's when you buy the cans/bottles, they put an additional ten cent per can/bottle tax on each bottle... When you return the bottle/can to the grocery store, they give you the ten cents back.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am curious. Why are there holes in the Radeon logo on the card?

Comment

It's awesome AMD gave you both a VEGA 64 and a 56 for testing, but since the embargo isn't lifted till Monday, can you give us more details on the test you'll be running; which test/games and how many?

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
          It's awesome AMD gave you both a VEGA 64 and a 56 for testing, but since the embargo isn't lifted till Monday, can you give us more details on the test you'll be running; which test/games and how many?
          Pretty much all the interesting OpenGL/Vulkan games available via PTS.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I am curious. Why are there holes in the Radeon logo on the card?
            Hmm? at the top is justh ow it's finished off, don't think any practical purpose. Though unlike the Polaris reference cards, the Radeon logo lights up when powered on.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

I think this was the first time I *read* through an unboxing. It's somehow not the same as watching a kid from India do it. I do miss the shaky video of a mobile phone.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                What is even better - Linux mentioned before windows. Now that got me smiling too
                Not only Linux first, but also seeing Windows 7 mentioned before Windows 10 got me smiling too.
                It seems that AMD has smart people in marketing too who understand what people use and want.
                Congratulations to AMD!

Comment

Oh just now I see on the box of my Red Devil RX480 that Linux support is mentioned even first as well :-)
                  Last edited by R41N3R; 12 August 2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                    Is the packaging of the Vega cards and the threadripper CPUs really necessary? A lot of show, only to throw it away after a few minutes. I'd rather want a regular simple box that it's entirely recyclable...
                    To flourish a product is to show confidence in how well it will work. One of my engineering classes went over how often well designed products don't sell because it did not look "presentable", in spite of meeting or exceeding competition and advertised capabilities. Having been a machinist a lot of years, I personally tend to spend a little more effort in cleaning up and making something look nice with the more time I spend making it. I suspect with AMD it is the same thing: Years of research and development to finally come to the conclusion of vega and zen. How can they not add a little frosting for the packaging?

I hope to see FAHBench in the coming lineup of tests... with ROCm not requiring X, I might put one in the server I'll eventually get around to building, for science.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Though unlike the Polaris reference cards, the Radeon logo lights up when powered on.
                      Try to turn it off to see if it reduces the TDP

Comment

Working...
                      X