Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gururise View Post

Not asking Michael to compare amdgpu to nouveau. I'm asking to compare amdgpu to nvidia proprietary. In the article, it's comparing mesa to nvidia proprietary, but the Radeon cards used in the article all support amdgpu, so why not use it?
    Qaridarium did ask.

I agree with you that for card comparison, best performance drivers (I called it official and this may be misleading) must be used ( closed or opensource).

Comment

From what I understand the Rx 480 is supposed to have more than 50% of the GTX 1080's performance, while it's priced under 50% of the cost.

Given the above, my guess (hope) is:
      FPS: Rx 480 = 0.65 * GTX 1080. (More is better)
      FPS/Watt: Rx 480 = 0.20 * GTX 1080. (Less is better)

Michael tell us if we are hot or cold!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        Michael tell us if we are hot or cold!
        I don't think he can do that now. You need to wait until the NDA expires.

I haven't yet guessed anything, so: I think it's about the same as Nvidia's (1080, 1070) and I also guess that I'm wrong!
        Last edited by Tomin; 27 June 2016, 12:17 PM. Reason: Added my guess

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          Simple the AMDGPU-PRO is the driver Developped by AMD. AMDGPU-ALL-OPEN (or AMDGPU+Radeon)is the community driver.

there is no driver called "AMDGPU" so your sentence are Wong from ground up.
          What are you talking about?
          amdgpu is the kernel module (driver) for new AMD graphics hardware, it's hybrid so there's also an pro stack with closed source UMD.

Comment

This debate would be much more effective if people were not using "amdgpu" to refer to both the hybrid and all-open drivers when arguing which of the two should be used for testing.

How about this ? Nobody uses the word "amdgpu" any more WITHOUT QUALIFYING WHICH AMDGPU THING THEY ARE REFERRING TO !!!!

Remember there is also an amdgpu back-end for LLVM, used in radeonsi among other things.
            Test signature

Comment

He, he, people still complicate things, to me it is "open" vs "closed" amdgpu driver.

If someone needs "more" of political correctness should just add keyword "more" so one driver is "more open" and other is "more closed" amdgpu driver.
              Last edited by dungeon; 27 June 2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Isn't AMDGPU-PRO the closed one, and AMDGPU the open one?

Yes I know that in the PRO there is also shared code with AMDGPU because reasons.

No, all this is AMD's fault as giving the same name to two things leads to confusion.
                But they topped it off with also calling it AMDGPU, like if I called my dog "STARSHIPELEVENDOG".
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 June 2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Yes I know that in the PRO there is also shared code with AMDGPU because reasons.
                  amdgpu-pro is amdgpu + closed source gl, opencl, etc...
                  amdgpu all open is amdgpu + mesa.

edit: can we just call them amdgpu-pro and amdgpu-open? And if we're talking about the kernel driver: amdgpu?
                  Last edited by JonathanM; 27 June 2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Yup. But you can also say that both are just amdgpu, where PRO variant is sort of optional closed addware to it.

Third option is to look at these all separate if you like

No, all this is AMD's fault as giving the same name to two things leads to confusion.
                    I don't have confusion, it might only depend on different people POV... someone is even free to imagine 10 drivers there out on 1 if he like

But only two amdgpu variants/paths/drivers are official, one is open(source) driver which is distributed by freedesktop.org, etc.. and second is closed(source) driver, distributed by amd.com...

Do you want to use one or another variant is your choice, both variants are supported by AMD In the end, it is one driver and two variants if you like.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 27 June 2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                      edit: can we just call them amdgpu-pro and amdgpu-open? And if we're talking about the kernel driver: amdgpu?
                      Political correctness is problematic to impossible thing, as pro is partialy open too so whatever name you choose someone will complain or disagree. I even came to idea to use "more open" and "more closed" description, just to avoid people talking about closed firmwares on open and to make it sound more neutral for people who think opposite

Basically i like to say AMD on Linux has one amdgpu driver and two variants, where first is more open then second and second which is more closed then first
                      Last edited by dungeon; 27 June 2016, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X