Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

BTW. Are you european? Or asain? Because I find that my European and asain department mates make comments like this and don't realize how amazingly rude it is in American culture.
    As a European, i feel offended by that comment
    Yeah, i think the comment was a bit harsh. But i also think that there are people without social filter everywhere in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Can you guys can stop asking to compare AMDGPU vs Nouveau.

Michael is comparing official driver vs official driver and he is right.

Your choice not to buy NVidia for that is respectable. But you, AMD fanboys, try SO HARD to see AMD win vs NVidia and this is childish at best.
      Not asking Michael to compare amdgpu to nouveau. I'm asking to compare amdgpu to nvidia proprietary. In the article, it's comparing mesa to nvidia proprietary, but the Radeon cards used in the article all support amdgpu, so why not use it?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
        Not everyone has a monitor with 1440 resolution. So there is FOR YOU, but not for everyone, no point in buying anything slower than 1070.

For you!

There is rumor RX 480 will be no more than 250 euros without miracle.
        Yes, for me, i wrote that, please read before commenting, and stop being amd's bitch.

And not only to me, it should be for everyone, as others mentioned, 660gtx already sucks balls and cant run 2k max graphics, so next round of games gonna be [email protected] fps or 1080p @ 10fps plus low graphics... Please keep that sado mazo for yourself, this is fun i am talking about, not resurrection of hitler .....

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post

Not asking Michael to compare amdgpu to nouveau. I'm asking to compare amdgpu to nvidia proprietary. In the article, it's comparing mesa to nvidia proprietary, but the Radeon cards used in the article all support amdgpu, so why not use it?
          Qaridarium did ask.

I agree with you that for card comparison, best performance drivers (I called it official and this may be misleading) must be used ( closed or opensource).

Comment

From what I understand the Rx 480 is supposed to have more than 50% of the GTX 1080's performance, while it's priced under 50% of the cost.

Given the above, my guess (hope) is:
            FPS: Rx 480 = 0.65 * GTX 1080. (More is better)
            FPS/Watt: Rx 480 = 0.20 * GTX 1080. (Less is better)

Michael tell us if we are hot or cold!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
              Michael tell us if we are hot or cold!
              I don't think he can do that now. You need to wait until the NDA expires.

I haven't yet guessed anything, so: I think it's about the same as Nvidia's (1080, 1070) and I also guess that I'm wrong!
              Last edited by Tomin; 06-27-2016, 12:17 PM. Reason: Added my guess

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Simple the AMDGPU-PRO is the driver Developped by AMD. AMDGPU-ALL-OPEN (or AMDGPU+Radeon)is the community driver.

there is no driver called "AMDGPU" so your sentence are Wong from ground up.
                What are you talking about?
                amdgpu is the kernel module (driver) for new AMD graphics hardware, it's hybrid so there's also an pro stack with closed source UMD.
                https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC201...hou_amdgpu.pdf

Comment

This debate would be much more effective if people were not using "amdgpu" to refer to both the hybrid and all-open drivers when arguing which of the two should be used for testing.

How about this ? Nobody uses the word "amdgpu" any more WITHOUT QUALIFYING WHICH AMDGPU THING THEY ARE REFERRING TO !!!!

Remember there is also an amdgpu back-end for LLVM, used in radeonsi among other things.

Comment

He, he, people still complicate things, to me it is "open" vs "closed" amdgpu driver.

If someone needs "more" of political correctness should just add keyword "more" so one driver is "more open" and other is "more closed" amdgpu driver.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 06-27-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Isn't AMDGPU-PRO the closed one, and AMDGPU the open one?

Yes I know that in the PRO there is also shared code with AMDGPU because reasons.

No, all this is AMD's fault as giving the same name to two things leads to confusion.
                      But they topped it off with also calling it AMDGPU, like if I called my dog "STARSHIPELEVENDOG".
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X