No announcement yet.

AMD's Radeon RX Announcement For E3 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A colleague of mine recently showed me some nice work done with Assembler for GCN. This only works with OpenCL with AMDGPU-PRO and RadeonSI. Those drivers don't support this feature officially. So I want to know if there are plans on supporting third party compiler and assembler for developing and optimizing OpenCL programs and OpenGL/Vulkan shaders. I know there is SPIR-V but this a portable IR not a native binary format.

Maybe the benefit of writings shaders and programs in assembler are small but it would be still a nice feature to have. Also to support an official binary format for GCN-native programs should be relatively easy.

Comment

Radeon RX, your prescription for awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by No Username
        I'm wondering if FGLRX 15.12 released in 2015 will support the Polaris family in order to run OpenCL programs such as oclHashcat or ethminer that require it or will AMDGPU-PRO be backwards compatible?
        No, fglrx isn't being updated for Polaris.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bpaterni View Post
          Anybody working on OpenCL for amdgpu?
          I saw this on reddit 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by lvlark View Post
            Also, how about crossfire support on Linux? How about crossfire between a dGPU and an IGP? Will that happen on Linux, and if so, for what chip combinations?
            I don't think you will hear much about this. Vulkan supports explicit multiadapter.

Comment

Originally posted by No Username
              I'm wondering if FGLRX 15.12 released in 2015 will support the Polaris family in order to run OpenCL programs such as oclHashcat or ethminer that require it or will AMDGPU-PRO be backwards compatible?
              In general anything that runs on fglrx with current GCN hardware should run on amdgpu pro + Polaris as well... if it doesn't we would like to hear about it.
              Test signature

Comment

Michael, I'm sure you'll ask about open source Vulkan support, but assuming you get can't get any details on that please ask if they'll officially support running the proprietary Vulkan driver with the OSS GL driver anytime soon.

Comment

For now I'm more focused on free driver (without blob/proprietary firmware), with OpenGL 4.5 support, vulkan and OpenCL.
                  Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Michael, I'm sure you'll ask about open source Vulkan support, but assuming you get can't get any details on that please ask if they'll officially support running the proprietary Vulkan driver with the OSS GL driver anytime soon.
                    Yep. I'd like to know if there is a time frame for open sourcing their Vulkan driver.

I'm divided on whether to remain AMD or go Nvidia for my next gaming PC. Drivers could be the one thing that swings my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
                      phoronix Michael could you ask if it will be possible at some point to switch between radeonsi and amdgpu-pro without rebooting?
                      rebooting is only required for kernel driver change, mesa should work with amdgpu-pro kernel driver already. libraries should be switchable at runtime with alternatives or something like that.
                      Originally posted by gurv View Post
                      Or better yet to use one or the other on a per application basis?
                      i guess it is doable with LD_LIBRARY_PATH tricks
                      Last edited by pal666; 14 June 2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X