ati 5770 or still a nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
    P.S. I'll have an Antec 300 case it would go into. So, better to have a reference card so the air flow will go out of the case more efficiently, right?
    I'm betting on the fact that I can get rid of the heat generated by the graphics card with other means and I'm a stickler for a quiet computer hence my decision to go with the Vapor-X. The reference coolers on the 5870's are reportedly not bad when the cards idle but can ramp up a bit under load and if there's one thing I can't stand is a noisy graphics card.

Comment

• This in a perfect world.

Comment

• Why would you expect "full" speed for this card? You could easyly buy 2 of em compared to a hd 5850. It will take some time till you get a fermi based card from nvidia for that price, maybe something like your hd 5850 example next month. So if you want to play games now and do not intent to spend that much money but it. Usally you will have to use win for games anyway - opengl 4 games are even rarer than dx11 games

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
          ok now the bad part: a HD5770 do not have full openGL4 support!
          thats because AMD try to get more money for the new 64bit calculating format!
          a HD5770 do not have the fullspeed for that format thats because the catalyst driver do not support this on this card thats because they don't want to!
          same problem by nvidia the GTX480 flakship do only have 1/8 of the speed in 64bit format!

the cheapest cart with full OpenGL4 64bit support is the hd5850!
          could you rephrase your babbling?

OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
          OpenGL version string: 4.0.9894 Compatibility Profile Context
          OpenGL shading language version string: 4.00

Comment

• Learn to read!

Comment

• and who cares about those 64bit operations? <deafing silcence> yeah, thought so.

Comment

Learn to read: "So only minor performance drops are expected."

that is it! you have openGL4 but some parts of OpenGL4 runs like crap

and if something runs slow.. its the nearly the same to not have a feature.
                oh so very wrong.

Comment

• Depends on whether "minor performance drops" and "runs like crap" are equivalent.
                  Test signature

Comment

"minor performance drops" = "runs like crap"

the first one is PR Marketing bullshit and the second one is the real hard true?
                    Yeah it does indeed sound like some euphemism cooked up by marketing guys. Not that I care though.

Comment

• Those 64 bit operations are not for gaming, not for dektop operation and not for video operation. Someone interested in opencl programming already knows what chip to buy.

Comment

Working...
                      X