No announcement yet.

ati 5770 or still a nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOSS ATi drivers do not need xorg.conf, I haven't had one for almost a year now.

Comment

Surely, you jest. The last time I tried Ubuntu with my Thinkpad, I needed to manually create/edit an xorg.conf file in Ubuntu 9.10 with the R250 ATI mobility card in the laptop. I just gave up because it was a PITA and I wasn't sure what all to put there. I came up with content/code that nearly worked but switched to a different distro eventually.

Else, it wouldn't boot up (unless in safe mode) and I couldn't enable 3D at all so forget about Compiz. I don't know if anything's changed but I'm guessing not much. Just a different set of problems now, probably. This is Ubuntu, too, which is claimed to be one of the distros officially supported. Since a significant portion of the ATI/AMD/Xorg camp don't seem to 'get along' too well, I guess I can't say I'm not surprised.

Comment

I don't know what it's like on Ubuntu, but I deleted xorg.conf, installed a new kernel, libdrm, mesa and ddx, and it's been running since some time in August.

The "officially supported distro" refers to the binary driver, which needs an xorg.conf. The free drivers are not "officially supported" on anything.

If you're using the free drivers, it's recommended to delete the xorg.conf file and let X autodetect everything. On any distro.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          I don't know what it's like on Ubuntu, but I deleted xorg.conf, installed a new kernel, libdrm, mesa and ddx, and it's been running since some time in August.

The "officially supported distro" refers to the binary driver, which needs an xorg.conf. The free drivers are not "officially supported" on anything.

If you're using the free drivers, it's recommended to delete the xorg.conf file and let X autodetect everything. On any distro.
          I installed Debian 'Squeeze' instead and with LXDE. But, with Ubuntu 9.10, I had problems just booting up. I read tons of posts, googled the issues and read of similar experiences/issues while trying various configurations of xorg.conf files I created. I'm just saying what happened so if it works now or has improved, I don't know about it.

Comment

Anyway, there is a lot of "I assume", "I'm guessing" and "I don't know" and "probably" in your post. I can tell you without any "probably" that it works without an xorg.conf here, that I have a composited and accelerated desktop, and that I'm playing Penumbra on it right now, with dynamic lighting and all that.

It's quite possible that it doesn't work for everyone -- the drivers are still under heavy development. Still, it's more useful to say what exactly doesn't work so it can be fixed -- the devs do read the posts here regularly, and submitting a bug report is more useful than "probably doesn't work".

Comment

One of the easiest ways to try OSS drivers is to install Lucid and xorg edgers.

>add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
              >aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade

And once 2.6.35 gets ready (you will get power saving) download and install it from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

>dpkg -i linux-image... linux-headers...

My xorg.conf is empty too, all is auto detected. Video is working *perfect* without tearing and 2d too.

I strongly suggest you to do this on a separate partition because xorg edgers from time to time broke something (although it is fixed in a few days).

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Nvidia "Jen-Hsun Huang" if you can read this i hope nvidia Goes Out of Business!

Die Nvidia DIE!

"Jen-Hsun Huang" i hope you get a new job in a Toilet cleaning Company!
                I believed it too, I really see fermi as a "houston, we have a problem" hardware.

But in the finall, nvidia is making profit of fermi , yeah! the power of marketing!!

Comment

Maybe, but I just read that the Fermi cards are supported in Linux, now.

Evergreen ATI card still aren't?!? After over a year?!? Both Ubuntu and Fedora users claim black screens when trying to boot.

Yeah, Nvidia hardware might be inferior but the point is the driver support is usually there soon after the cards are released. The Nvidia webpage shows support established with bug fixes at the end of April.

Maybe ATI/AMD will have HD 5000 cards supported in the year 2015???

Comment

Stop trolling, please, Evergreen has been supported since shortly after launch.

Fglrx has its issues on some machines, but this doesn't mean that it's not supported.

First you were claiming that fglrx doesn't do any powersaving, now you're claiming that Evergreen is not supported, are you intentionally trolling here or what?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Stop trolling, please, Evergreen has been supported since shortly after launch.

Fglrx has its issues on some machines, but this doesn't mean that it's not supported.

First you were claiming that fglrx doesn't do any powersaving, now you're claiming that Evergreen is not supported, are you intentionally trolling here or what?
                      How is it trolling? I'm pointing out that the support is QUITE POOR!

What does that mean ubuntu 10.04 picked catalyst 10.4? does these support ATI HD 5770? Thanks.

First post here, Here are the specs of my current PC: CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE @ 3.5 Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO Bios: American Megatrends V. 1104 Graphics Card: MSI Hawk Radeon HD 5770 Memory: DDR3 4096Mb

it's time to upgrade my video card. i've always gone with nvidia in the past because of all the horrible things i've read about others difficulties with ati cards in linux. the newer ati cards are looking pretty sweet though so i thought i'd ask, how's support these days? if i go with the radeon 5770 can i anticipate any major difficulties with X or compiz?

How can I do this? I can see the "boot menu" and the pink ubuntu splash but then the screen goes to sleep mode and then the "login sound" plays and Im left with a blank screen? (ctrl alt F1 dont do anything) How can i install lucid or ati drivers when i cant see anything?

I'm not really sure what's going on here. I'm running 9.04 right now and would like to install 10.04. When I try to boot from the live CD, it does boot and I see two small icons at the bottom, one looks like a keyboard and the other one looks like an accessibility icon. Anyway, if I do nothing, those icons go away and then the screen just stays black. However, once I see those icons, if I press F6, I see the normal installation options that I have seen with all the other Ubuntu CDs. I selected

EDIT: Added January 5, 2012 Howto for F16 & F19 (there is no catalyst driver from rpmfusion repository for F20 and higher) Click this link to make sure your card is supported by this driver (All ATI cards below the HD series are unsupported, in F17 all HD4xxx and below are unsupported)

Don't worry, I won't even illustrate with examples via Ubuntu Launchpad!

The HD 5xxx series of cards is released over a year ago and still, so many issues/problems. Yes, maybe some features will work but OOTB issues give black screens and you have to run through hoops to get from point B to point A? FOSS drivers, you need to do some special process to have some features?

So, in summary, someone buying a recent HD 5xxx card is going to have a surprise and chore in getting the card 'to work.' Why is saying, 'c'mon, already?!?' trolling?

Comment

Working...
                      X