No announcement yet.

Tiny Corp At "70%" Confidence For AMD To Open-Source Some Relevant GPU Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Corp At "70%" Confidence For AMD To Open-Source Some Relevant GPU Firmware

Phoronix: Tiny Corp At "70%" Confidence For AMD To Open-Source Some Relevant GPU Firmware

Following the news from earlier around George Hotz' Tiny Corp raising new AMD GPU issues and calling for the MES firmware to be open-sourced followed by a positive message from AMD CEO Lisa Su, there's a new update on the matter following a meeting today between Tiny Corp and AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow….the ball really is in AMD’s court. And in public . Good job Tinybox for calling out AMD on screwing with progress and your plans to market your tech based in AMD GPUs.

Comment

To add to my post above Tinybox is totally correct by saying it is imperative to have an easy to build and rebuild and deploy driver setup. And this is the problem. If AMD can’t even get their drivers to be easily built and rebuilt and deployed how the hell can they get ROCm in that shape?

Comment

I'm sure AMD will move heaven and earth to sell those 6 XTXs... I know he might sell 1000 tinyboxes with 6 each. His words just sound so ridiculous.

Comment

Well, I guess it's a really big chance for AMD, to actually take a bit of this market from nvidia and show Radeons are not just toys.
          Improving ROCm won't hurt either, we've been waiting too long.

And personally I'm not going to buy another AMD GPU if they decide to stay years behind competition. Enough is enough.
          Last edited by sobrus; 06 March 2024, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Kind of funny how they're complaining about things we were complaining about years ago like making amdgpu-dkms easier to work with.

Comment

I doubt this is going to happen. I want to be wrong.

I hope AMD GPU gurus reply here about this.

bridgman agd5f What about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                I'm sure AMD will move heaven and earth to sell those 6 XTXs... I know he might sell 1000 tinyboxes with 6 each. His words just sound so ridiculous.
                why do you think AMD, which makes both the best GPUs and (the best) CPUs, is worth 1/7 of nvidia which makes only (the best) GPUs?
                there is gigantic money to be made on AI and compute as long as it actually works. nobody is working with AMD GPUs because they just don't work and they can't even spend time fixing it because it's not opensource, regardless of how good the hardware theoretically is.

Comment

After all the anti-consumer choices as of late, it would be great to get some openness back from AMD. Getting many longstanding issues fixed in the process and getting other companies on board in fixing these, is a win-win-win in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Railander View Post

why do you think AMD, which makes both the best GPUs and (the best) CPUs, is worth 1/7 of nvidia which makes only (the best) GPUs?
                    there is gigantic money to be made on AI and compute as long as it actually works. nobody is working with AMD GPUs because they just don't work and they can't even spend time fixing it because it's not opensource, regardless of how good the hardware theoretically is.
                    I have both CPU and GPU from AMD, but don't quite think you can call Radeons "best GPUs". AMD GPUs are nowhere near nVidia. They barely match GeForce in games.

There was a time when ATi dominated with R9700, but these are long gone. nVidia was first to bring DX10 class card to PC (Geforce 8), along with CUDA, something that is still out of reach for AMD, in 2006. They also were first to bring ray-tracing and tensor cores to consumer cards. They also were first to bring DLSS and Frame Generation...First to have dual issue units, their tensor cores can work parallel with compute cores... AMD is just copying their ideas, few years later. AMD was not present in high end GPUs for years, and it seems like this will be again the case with RDNA4. I don't think it's because AMD has superior technology that they don't want to use.

But at least they do have open source drivers for linux, and are usually reasonably priced...

I don't blame nVIdia that they want to make money on excellent solutions they offer. They earned it, CUDA is 18 years old already and was working nicely on each and every GPU generation since.
                    Last edited by sobrus; 06 March 2024, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X