No announcement yet.

Libre-SoC Open-Source GPU/VPU Project Loses Key Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only two people were working full time on this. So that job was getting done in 1,000 years, most likely. Scroll towards the end of the list (don't worry, it's not long), they don't even have the full name of the contributors anymore. So yeah, this was going places
    Last edited by bug77; 28 February 2024, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Apparently, it's additional funding that is currently suspended.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Holy shit, my only hope is, this was written by an naive 8 year old that was super hard indoctrinated by wokeness. I can't imagine how they got 500000 bucks with such bullshit online, the code was probably published afterwards.
        Are you stupid their whole CoC was the reason they got in the mess, It's because it incredibly vague (deliberately to be “anti-woke”). They didn't want to offend you people, who somehow are offended over any comprehensive CoC lmao.

Comment

They have a Matrix and IRC room if anyone is still interested in the project though, here the Matrix room link:

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            Another open source scam met it's logical end.

The only thing that a bigger scam than open source software is open source hardware and frankly I have to wonder if the NLnet Foundation will either try to recoup their investment or try to have the authorities launch a fraud investigation.

Of course, you also have to be pretty stupid to believe that with 550k someone is going to be able to design and build a chip based on a completely clean sheet design that doesn't rely on any patented technology.

People can easily be persuaded to accept the most inferior ideas or useless products; attributed to H. L. Mencken.

On a side note, I am trying to get funding for my open source project so I think i will reach out to these people.
            Whatever says this is clean paper?
            already exist a chip from the project, project have amount of presentations in openpower fundation, and almost things including the scalar vector extensions is done, the mostly problems looks the driver side, the project sadly have stopped amount after pandemy, thanks covid-19

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
            Last edited by EliasOfWaffle; 27 February 2024, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Please stopping to say shit, the libresoc is not a scan project, this is a real project and a good project, sadly 500k is not enough for a big project, in the same way, looks have amount of internal problems.
              The LibreSOC Initiative: A hybrid CPU/VPU/GPU - Luke Leighton, LibreSOCSpeakers: Luke LeightonLibreSOC is a hybrid CPU, VPU and GPU that is to be free of DRM...
              Last edited by EliasOfWaffle; 27 February 2024, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Comment

i hope other foundation can help, this project can't be stopped, and can be good if libresoc have improvements to focus not just in hybrid GPU/VPU but in too NPU focus
                  Last edited by EliasOfWaffle; 27 February 2024, 02:45 PM.

Comment

For someone that not knows about this project, this is really a miraculous project that focus in providing a Hybrid CPU/GPU/VPU(Video processing Unit) in the same SOC, but it's looks more a homogeneous chip that is universal processor, this use PowerISA, but formely have used RISC-V(But risc-v foundation is a shit and just give some things about extensions design if pay, this means that email list about is closed and project can't be design a extensions, sadly, this project with risc-v can be much more compability and usage in future, but thanks risc foundation for not helping anyone out of big corporations), PowerISA is formely know as PowerPC ISA, the project uses a SVP64 extension that is the only real Scalar Vectorial Extension set, instead to be amount of instructions turn all blobbed, this is just 4 or 6 IIRC instructions, and don't depend of others, this means this is a real scalar (the SVE from ARM and others is not a true scalar vector instructions), the main idea is to this be used not just for Video processing like decoding but too for graphics.

Comment

The project already have written a initial Vulkan Driver called Kazam.
                      I think the mostly problems is amount of rewrite that project have made, not just Risc-v have been abandoned(because risc-v foundation is a shit) but have to be rewritten amount of things, and Kazam have been deprecated, and focus to use a Mesa driver in future, but sadly, without NLnet, the only hope is a german project for financial

Comment

Working...
                      X