Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libre-SoC Open-Source GPU/VPU Project Loses Key Funding

Phoronix: Libre-SoC Open-Source GPU/VPU Project Loses Key Funding

Longtime Phoronix readers may recall the Libre-SoC project that for the past 5+ years has been wanting to build a libre/open-source SoC for graphics acceleration and other uses...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The end.

Yet another failed project by the usual person with a track record of not delivering.

Who'd think.

Comment

it would be nice to see where they spent 550k in funding with nothing to show for it.

Comment

Apparently harassment is to blame for the lack of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
          Apparently harassment is to blame for the lack of progress.
          Well, did you read their Code of Honour and definition of good?

The Code of Honour
          • Always do "good"
          • Never do "harm"
          • The Code applies 100% of the time
          • Everyone knows The Code

This Code is simple and short enough to memorise. "Good" is further defined to mean "increasing Truth, Awareness, Love or Creativity for one or more people including yourself" and "Harm" is defined as reducing any of those same four qualities for anyone.
          ​
          That basically says that I can go around harassing people about how they need to follow my religion or they're going to a bad place and technically I'm doing good because I'm using My Truth, My Awareness, My Love, and My Creativity to Increase them. Whose truth? Whose awareness?

If y'all aren't Agnostic you may or may not go somewhere good or bad, dammit.

And then Harm being the opposite of that. Anyone who has been told, "I'm sorry. I only did it because I love you." after being abused knows that's a bunch of hoo-ha. Technically, the abuser was doing Good since the abuse was out of Love, Truth, Awareness, and that switch (tree branch) was damn Creative.

It sounds good and well until you step away from the emotional perspective and think about it from a philosophical or logical perspective.

Last edited by skeevy420; 27 February 2024, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Well, did you read their Code of Honour and definition of good?
            Holy shit, my only hope is, this was written by an naive 8 year old that was super hard indoctrinated by wokeness. I can't imagine how they got 500000 bucks with such bullshit online, the code was probably published afterwards.

Comment

I've never heard of this project before, but after taking a quick look, I found myself asking the following question: who on earth would invest money in this? Just because it's "open source"? I don't know how they managed to get a 500K euro investment, considering that's chump change for projects involving chip development with the purpose that this LibreSoC would have.

Comment

Another open source scam met it's logical end.

The only thing that a bigger scam than open source software is open source hardware and frankly I have to wonder if the NLnet Foundation will either try to recoup their investment or try to have the authorities launch a fraud investigation.

Of course, you also have to be pretty stupid to believe that with 550k someone is going to be able to design and build a chip based on a completely clean sheet design that doesn't rely on any patented technology.

People can easily be persuaded to accept the most inferior ideas or useless products; attributed to H. L. Mencken.

On a side note, I am trying to get funding for my open source project so I think i will reach out to these people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  I've never heard of this project before, but after taking a quick look, I found myself asking the following question: who on earth would invest money in this? Just because it's "open source"? I don't know how they managed to get a 500K euro investment, considering that's chump change for projects involving chip development with the purpose that this LibreSoC would have.
                  The article mentions some grants, so maybe it was money changing hands from PUBLIC to PRIVATE with support of sketches of grand achievements. It would be nothing new.
                  Last edited by NSLW; 27 February 2024, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I don't know the particulars of this project but I gather from the preceding comments there might have been leadership / personality issues, and unrealistic goals for the level of funding.

Still, more open source hardware couldn't be bad. Every now I then I check Raptor's store page to see if the prices have come down but it still gives me a nose-bleed just to look at it. Also, no laptops. What I'd really like is an open hardware laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X