AMD Announces The Radeon RX 7600 XT For 1080p~1440p Gaming At $329

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces The Radeon RX 7600 XT For 1080p~1440p Gaming At $329

Phoronix: AMD Announces The Radeon RX 7600 XT For 1080p~1440p Gaming At $329

In addition to announcing the Ryzen 8000G series and new Ryzen 5000 series processors, AMD kicked off CES 2024 in Las Vegas by announcing the Radeon RX 7600 XT as their newest RDNA3 discrete graphics card for gamers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still too much money for that graphics card. The Intel Arch A770 is 16GB and can be found for less than $300. Problem is the ARC GPU's require ReBar for decent performance.

Comment

I wonder how the RX 7600 XT will compete against old stock like Radeon RX 6700 and 6800 cards. The RX 6500 was a joke because there was no hardware video encoder. I wonder if we will see the same thing with the RX 7500.

I'll wait for DDR5 prices to come down but the 8700G looks very promising for a low power always on media center / tv gaming system / home automation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Still too much money for that graphics card. The Intel Arch A770 is 16GB and can be found for less than $300. Problem is the ARC GPU's require ReBar for decent performance.
        This was true with my RX6600, aka AMD SAM / REBAR boosted my frame rates by 20%. I've read nvidia is more spotty perhaps but with my amd stack is was definitely required. Generally any newer motherboard should support this too I thought, like in the last 2-3 years ish?

Comment

Since this card is just a higher clocked 7600 I guess it also has a crippled PCIe interface?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            The Arc A770 can be cheaper, but ANV, the Vulkan driver for Intel GPUs, is still a bad toy compared to RADV.

Comment

Can we have a 35W RX7300 please?

Comment

Meh. Not really good enough for many modern games, but too expensive if you don't play games. And AMD is doing the Nvidia thing now where they use resolution upscaling and frame rate interpolation in their charts to show off how much FPS you're getting, completely hiding the actual performance of the GPU.

I guess we can't have nice things anymore. You either get ripped off by AMD for mediocre performance, or you need to sell a kidney, an arm and a leg for a higher perf Nvidia card. Maybe Intel's future GPUs will bring something worth looking at.

Comment

Looking at the graphs, the 7600xt does seem to have a decent boost over the plain vanilla rx 7600 but looking at the pictures, it's got a second 75 watt eight-pin connector, that uplift may come at the price of a big power increase; I hope that AMD sends Michael one soon.

As for the rebar scene, current AMD BIOS supports REBAR as far back as the B350 motherboard but some old, crochity processors like the 2400g and 3400g do NOT support rebar. I tried running my wonderful ARC A380 on a Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H with a 2400g and it was "unrewarding", the integrated Vega 11 outran the A380 in almost every case. Moving the A380 to a B450 and a 5600g drastically improved the performance of the A380. My RX 6400 still easily outperforms the A380 but considering the RX 6400 is a $140 card and my A380 was $100, the performance isn't bad for the A380.

I was able to track down Powercolor RX 7600 in November for $250 so I can play most games in the double if not triple digit frame rates.

Comment

If we look at the performance between 4060 and 7600 and then consider the improvements that the XT-version of 7600 has and the MSRP of the GPUs in this segment - then it looks "unexcitingly decent". At this point, if this is your budget and you can't either wait or change your budget, then it's a matter of weighing your personal use-case.

What games you play and what features you favor. And do you like freedom? Then there's untapped potential from driver development. I don't know how far Intel is in squeezing the fruit dry, but at least on Linux, it seems Nvidia is not running at its potential and AMD and Intel are both more mature. Although Intel is arguably more inconsistent and AMD is the more sensible choice. As for Windows, that's where Nvidia are the most competitive.

Personally, I'm completely done with Nvidia's BS. You've got the poor Linux support, the proprietary standards approach which is just an ultimatum that nobody wins from (other than Nvidia), the silly "if you don't make an account and use GeForce Experience, you'll only get quarterly driver updates" and the complete disrespect of customers with their pricing and dishonest product design. It's kind of "amusing" to me that Nvidia took the open standard by VESA ("Adaptive Sync") and made it into a proprietary one and then required a $100 dollar markup from a G-Sync board in all monitors with that feature while AMD made the open standard into a still open standard that didn't put a markup on monitor price. While Nvidia has some truly great technologies, they market them and design them in such a hostile and disrespectful way that to me they might as well not exist. Most of the time you are paying an unreasonable premium for the Nvidia badge. They've done a great job messing up the GPU market and they can because people let them. I wish more people were able to draw a line in the sand.

As for AMD, some of their GPUs have great value (all is relative, the GPU market is arguably broken) while others are quite underwhelming (although not bad). AMD has arguably managed well against the ruthless giant that is Nvidia.

Something to remember is that price decides how good a GPU is. It doesn't matter what it's called, whether today's announced product was 7500 XT, 7600 XT or 7700 XT - What matter is what you get for the price you pay.

If the 7600 XT is indeed on par with the 4060 8 GB for about the same price, then its a win. Not everything is reflected in all benchmarks, doubling the VRAM matters. If it's better than the 4060 8 GB (like AMD is claiming), then it certainly doesn't deserve any more bad rep than the products it's up against and could actually be an okay-ish product.

At that price point it's starting to get difficult to cut the prices as all GPUs have a base cost associated. The sweetspot will always be mid-range, although the definition of "mid-range" is bound to both the lower-end and higher-end segments - which we all know are broken.

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    but looking at the pictures, it's got a second 75 watt eight-pin connector, that uplift may come at the price of a big power increase
                    There will definitely be a penalty. It's a card pushed far beyond the power-to-performance sweetspot.​
                    Last edited by Eudyptula; 08 January 2024, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X