No announcement yet.

How The Radeon Professional Graphics Performance Changed Over 13 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, I'm surprised that there is only a 5...10x improvement on most of the benchmarks - both raw performance and power efficiency.

Comment

Ah yes, Torvalds is talking about ATI Pro series performance and not new filesystems or anything like that. What about the native performance of encryption vs overlaying dm-crypt.

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post
        I'm curious to see the gpu on Folding@Home...
        I vaguely remember attempting it and I couldn't get it to work. Might've been a driver issue at the time.

Comment

So, it looks like, if my goal is to manage room temperature without air conditioning, the "adeon PRO W7500" (:P) is my best option, because, while they trade off on perf-per-watt tests, the W7500 chews up significantly fewer watts overall.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 08 August 2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

It's amazing the progress done in the GPU side over the last two decades. And how drivers keep supporting such vastly different hardware.

I repurposed a 2008 imac to be used as a dumb terminal. It has Radeon HD 2600 XT graphic card with 256 MB. To my surprise, it ran mesa out of the box. radeontop works and identifies the chip correctly as RV610.

Now you may think it can't run a modern browser, and it's very slow and will crash at certain very heavy sites (it crashes on office 365, for example), but I ran Baldur's Gate and Planetscape Torment natively (Steam has native compiles of both) and both worked great out of the box, no switches required.

Comment

"For reasons unknown I wasn't seeded with any of the Radeon professional graphics products between then and now,"

in my point of view it is very well known why amd did this they just did give up the linux workstation market for this time period.

the opensource driver was not ready for workstation action and the closed source driver was a shit-show so why waste money to send out GPU samples ?

but it looks like AMD is back on the workstation market for linux.

Today together with my brother we ordered a 7000€ system with a AMD ryzen 7950X3D and a AMD Radeon PRO W7900 48GB (this card alone is 4000€) together with 192GB ram and a 8TB SSD. That will be a nice System for Blender and other workstation work also for AI/deep learning workloads on Linux.

So it looks like AMD is back on the Linux Workstation market.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Adding to what qarium said, whenever AMD sends Michael a laptop or, in this case, a Radeon PRO GPU, is because they know that the feedback won't be "this hardware doesn't work" 😅

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  Adding to what qarium said, whenever AMD sends Michael a laptop or, in this case, a Radeon PRO GPU, is because they know that the feedback won't be "this hardware doesn't work" 😅
                  yes its very simple. every time they did not send him sample was because something fishy was going on..

like RDNA1.0 hardware need 1 year after release to be usefull... or ROCm-HIP on RDNA2 hardware people reported they need to wait longer than 6 month to make any use of the cards and even after 1 year ROCm/HIP was still not working.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                  X