Chinese GPU Vendor Moore Threads Contributing To VA-API, FFmpeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    So now indirectly you confess that you "underestimated the Russians"...nice way to put things hugh?
    Yes, in terms of how far they're willing to go, in the pursuit of power and influence.

To be clear: I didn't underestimate their capability, but their aggression and sheer recklessness. From what I've learned, it seems Putin has been surrounded by yes-men who only tell him what he wants to hear. This explains a lot about the reckless and ultimately disastrous decisions taken by dictators throughout history.

the case is the same as Kosovo(it is a lot worst than Kosovo..but legally speaking its the same case).
    It's not, because even if you ignore Russia's role in creating an environment hostile to Russians inside Ukraine and you take their claims of "genocide" on face value, the NATO war on Serbia wasn't about territorial expansion. Russia's very much is.

And now the US is starting another war in Sudan...the cycle of violence never stops...
    That's not true, but I'm not surprised that Russia Today is telling you such lies.

The case of Crimea, by International Law is settled,
    Not at all. The transfer of ownership was never internationally recognized. First, Ukraine had no constitutional means for Crimea to secede. Second, the secession wasn't negotiated with them. Russia just took it by force and then staged a sham referendum to make it seem legitimate.

What I really can't understand is why you're so accepting of first-party narratives. Russia tells you something that's inline with their own self-interest, and you simply accept it? You must be trying really hard to hold onto your pro-Russia allegiance, because most rational people would be skeptical enough to see how Russia's version of events compares with basically everybody else's.

Because you've demonstrated such a shocking lack of skepticism and intellectual curiosity, I have difficulty taking anything else you say very seriously.

Because software compiled for one platform will not run in another and vice versa, it will be a mess...vendor lock in..
    Ventana has its own proprietary extensions,Sifive does the same,Chinese companies does the same...it will be a mess.
    Agreed, but it's not much of an issue for truly embedded platforms and applications. Where it becomes a major barrier is in penetration of the server market and other forms of general-purpose computing.

In my opinion RISCV people should sit down have a very mature discussion, understand why those extensions are being created and standardize everything..before its too late.
    You said you wanted freedom, and the ultimate freedom is letting people create their own extensions. I think we've seen this play out many times, in standards like OpenGL. You allow vendor-specific extensions as an experimental proving ground. Once there's some consensus on what the standard version should look like, then it gets incorporated into the standard.
    Last edited by coder; 25 April 2023, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      any market cap has nothing to do with it.
      My point was that if most of the value added to those machines is from Zeiss, then not only should most of the cost filter through to them, but perhaps you'd also see more competition with ASML that uses Zeiss as a supplier. Either of these would add to their value as a company, which is summarized in their market cap.

Just like most other bigger countries, not sure why you are so obsessed with russia.
      Leaving aside the elephant in the room of their territorial expansionism...

Evidence they swung elections in favor of Brexit and Trump, for starters. We don't know how much other civil unrest they're stoking in western countries, but they've been caught trying to increase racial tensions in the US and France.

They're also the largest haven of cyber criminals, and perpetrated shocking human rights abuses in Syria (routinely bombing hospitals and other civilian targets).

Next, their reckless use of chemical and radioactive weapons in high-profile assassinations they've performed abroad, not only violating all sorts of norms and laws about that sort of thing, but also causing harm to innocent members of the public.

Add to that that how their main export is fossil fuels.

And last, but not least, their support of authoritarian regimes throughout the world. I've even heard they transferred long-range missile technology to North Korea.

There are many good Russians, but there's basically nothing good that can be said about their government.

Arms race​ is not only classical military weapons, if russia wouldn't do it while all others continue they most likely wouldn't exist anymore.
      That's a funny claim to make, when nobody has actually attacked them, nor has ever demonstrated much interest in doing so.

You act like Putin woke up one morning and decided to conquer Ukrain. Russia is reacting to us western countryies heavily meddeling in ukrain, supporting and training their right wing militia
      That's a false narrative. Ukraine was never on a path to join NATO. Ukraine was never a threat to Russia.

Furthermore, those militias only became a "thing" after Russia started stoking tensions and sparked a civil war. Russia did more to create those militias than everyone else, combined.

As I told tuxd3v , the normal and proper response to human rights violations would've been for Russia to offer a resolution at the UN Security Council to have peace keepers provide security and then prosecute any perpetrators of said abuses. It speaks volumes that Russia never attempted such a move. It shows they were only using that as a pretext for their invasion.

What would america do if russia starts to support a revolution in one of their neighbor countries? Watch and do nothing? Remember the Cuban Missile Crisis?
      The Cuban Missile Crisis has nothing to do with this. The US has gone out of its way to avoid supplying Ukraine with offensive and long-range weapons that can strike deep into Russia, not to mention nukes.

Poking in a beehive will most likely end in bees stinging and in that state bees don't care if they die.
      The bees were already attacking. And what do you expect NATO to do? Just sit by and let Putin roll through Europe, like he's some kind of neo-Stalin?

If Russia is the one that looses then we will probably see a atomic war.
      That would be the ultimate "sore loser" move, and doom Russia to a generation of complete isolation. I don't think it'll happen, because China has said it's off-limits.

The funny thing about all this is Putin can end the war any time he wants to, and he hasn't lost any territory in doing so. The one with everything to lose is Ukraine.

It's really sad to see so many people falling for that dump propaganda that putin is just some crazy dude that has fun playin war.
      It's not propaganda, if literally the entire rest of the world is saying it and there's a lot of reporting and facts to back it up. You just buy into Russia's own first-party narrative.

No there are most likely big financial interests behind any war
      Sometimes, the obvious answer is the right one. There's not always a middle-ground.

Comment

Had the US being able to produce those lens...Intel would have being able to drop bellow 14nm, but they can´t...but they do have the same laser system in those machines..
        So..ask yourself, why are they not capable to drop bellow 14nm..
        Intel's decision to use DUV for 10 nm was mainly about cost and (perceived) time-to-market. It turned out to be the wrong decision, for the density targets they tried to achieve.

Their "Intel 4" process is EUV, however. It's already ramped up, and will produce Meteor Lake, later this year.

Comment

If it requires changes to the wave length, then we need to stop, because the lens are produced of a specific material for a wavelength of 13.5nm(those parameters where previously discovered by the Russians).If we change the wavelength then a lot of things have to change too.
          I'm not sure what you are talking about? 13.5 nm is infrared, a CO2 laser is a pretty old invention. The laser is guided with metal mirrors because there is no glass to transmitt this wavelenght (atleast with the amount of power the laser has). EUV is emitted by the tin drops and they need to be "lasered" accurately 50000 times a second, that is the speciality of the laser.

Had the US being able to produce those lens...Intel would have being able to drop bellow 14nm, but they can´t...but they do have the same laser system in those machines..
          So..ask yourself, why are they not capable to drop bellow 14nm..
          Its the quality of the lens ofcourse..
          As said earlier, there are more critical components than just the lenses in those machines.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            My point was that if most of the value added to those machines is from Zeiss, then not only should most of the cost filter through to them, but perhaps you'd also see more competition with ASML that uses Zeiss as a supplier. Either of these would add to their value as a company, which is summarized in their market cap.
            Ok I think I get what you mean, yes sure.

Evidence they swung elections in favor of Brexit and Trump, for starters.
            There is evidence for this? I mean apart from some laughable troll accounts on Facebook?

We don't know how much other civil unrest they're stoking in western countries, but they've been caught trying to increase racial tensions in the US and France.
            I'm seeing increased propaganda on many platforms that try to make Russia the good guy that frees the ukrainians. As said, that is as believeable as the US telling us they free random countries in the world (that don't wan't to trade oil in dollars or something).

They're also the largest haven of cyber criminals ...
            Next, their reckless use of chemical and radioactive weapons in high-profile assassinations they've performed abroad ...
            And last, but not least, their support of authoritarian regimes throughout the world ...
            There are many good Russians, but there's basically nothing good that can be said about their government.
            That is nothing specific to russia and apllies atleast to every country with atomic weapons.

Add to that that how their main export is fossil fuels.
            Is that some sort of crime or violation of human rights?

That's a funny claim to make, when nobody has actually attacked them, nor has ever demonstrated much interest in doing so.
            I was talking about meddeling not attacking. It's what keept the US at the top for a long time, igniting wars outside their boarders.

That's a false narrative. Ukraine was never on a path to join NATO. Ukraine was never a threat to Russia.
            I'm confused, I didn't state any of this.

Furthermore, those militias only became a "thing" after Russia started stoking tensions and sparked a civil war.
            Not true, I read many articles in 2013 about right wing militias killing people in donbas (they were called anti terror group). And before you scream propaganda, those were reported by the same media outletts that now don't seem to know any of what they reported back then and fall in the canon of "russia bad everyone else angel".

Russia did more to create those militias than everyone else, combined.
            Then why would we supply weapons and training for militia that russia created and let them kill people in donbass?

As I told tuxd3v , the normal and proper response to human rights violations would've been for Russia to offer a resolution at the UN Security Council to have peace keepers provide security and then prosecute any perpetrators of said abuses.
            You mean the same UN that lets western counties rage war and human right violations all over the world with no consequences?

The Cuban Missile Crisis has nothing to do with this. The US has gone out of its way to avoid supplying Ukraine with offensive and long-range weapons that can strike deep into Russia, not to mention nukes.
            I only wanted to show you what would happen if russia meddles in US neighbor countries, the "weapons" used are pretty much irrelevant.

That would be the ultimate "sore loser" move, and doom Russia to a generation of complete isolation. I don't think it'll happen, because China has said it's off-limits.
            I'm not sure you are understanding what such a war would do to the world. Everyone would be a looser there, a few rich and mighty will survive deep down in bunkers but not sure if they survive the environemental changes that would happen on top.
            No one can do anything against atomic weapons, there are many models from different countries considdering the first strike strategy and all of them have the somewhat same ending.

The funny thing about all this is Putin can end the war any time he wants to
            Not sure, speaches from ukrainian and many other governements suggest otherwise.

It's not propaganda, if literally the entire rest of the world is saying it
            First, nothing is true just because everyone saying it. Second, there are many countries not falling in the same canon as US/EU.

and there's a lot of reporting and facts to back it up.
            You mean the same reporting and facts that told us about those weapons of mass destruction and many other proven lies? Or those storrys that russia is attacking atomic power plants with their own army on site? Sorry if I tend to not believe proven liars.

Comment

Yes, in terms of how far they're willing to go, in the pursuit of power and influence.

To be clear: I didn't underestimate their capability, but their aggression and sheer recklessness. From what I've learned, it seems Putin has been surrounded by yes-men who only tell him what he wants to hear. This explains a lot about the reckless and ultimately disastrous decisions taken by dictators throughout history.
              Look coder..
              Bullsh*t..

The US, decided to create the mess in Ukraine, its public..
              They knew Ukraine has a long dark history with n.a.z.i.s.m, and they took advantage of it..
              Its public information..
              A good starting point to understand the beginning of the problem, is this documentary by Oliver Stone:
              Learn More About the Producer and Director of Ukraine On Fire Oliver Stone At: https://linktr.ee/OStone Connect the Dots Between COVID-19 / The Great Reset, The Fourth Industrial Revolution, Klaus Sch

You continue with the propaganda out of Murdock crap propaganda news channels..
              This has nothing to do with Putin..
              Apart from Genocide, Ukraine didn't implemented the Minsk agreements, went further threatening to build nuclear weapons, and bring NATO to Russian borders...they did everything literally to get to the situation they are now..
              They even built a new Army created by NATO to kill Russians..
              That army was about 350k, trained for 8 years, and was to be launched against donbass in March 2022.

Ukraine had still 2 big chances to solve the problem, they did peace mediations in Belarus, and also in Turkey, and Ukraine was about to sign a peace agreement with Russia, but then your UK president(Boris Johnson) come and said no that Russia needed to be defeated militarily in the field.. don't you remember of that??

It's not, because even if you ignore Russia's role in creating an environment hostile to Russians inside Ukraine and you take their claims of "genocide" on face value, the NATO war on Serbia wasn't about territorial expansion. Russia's very much is.
              nonsense,
              So you are saying that Russia created problems to their own people in Ukraine?
              Really? and you expect us to believe in that nonsense?

I saw maybe thousands of videos of n.a.z.i.s killing Russians in Ukraine..and it was all over the country.

The NATO war was not on Serbia only...it was on Yugoslavia, and the purpose of it, was to destroy the second most powerful country, in military terms in Europe.
              That happened because Russia broke in the 90s, and could not assist Yugoslavia properly..
              Yugoslavia ended up splited in several parts, one of those parts is Serbia, and one of those splitted parts is Kosovo.

And now we have donbass in the same situation as Kosovo.Kosovo was part of Serbia( and Serb's still consider it part of Serbia ), and in my opinion it should be.
              By international Law a part of a country can only split when their self-determination is threatened.
              Serb's never threatened Kosovo populations.

However Ukraine does threatened donbass population for 8 years...so the case is a lot more in favour of donbass, but anyway, legally speaking both cases are the same.
              That's not true, but I'm not surprised that Russia Today is telling you such lies.
              I don't need to read Russia media..
              I am studying geopolitics for the last 20 years..

The US is doing it just because Russia is creating a military base in Sudan..its military strategy..
              Not at all. The transfer of ownership was never internationally recognized. First, Ukraine had no constitutional means for Crimea to secede. Second, the secession wasn't negotiated with them. Russia just took it by force and then staged a sham referendum to make it seem legitimate.
              The transfer of ownership doesn't need to be internationally recognized..it just needs to follow International Law.
              What international Law says is that, the referendum needs to be approved in a Parliament...and it was... in the parliament of Crimea.

That's why I say its a case closed for Crimea, however Donbass is different, and its the same case as Kosovo(but morally speaking is a lot more in favour of donbass).

EDIT: International Law does say that International Observers are required in the referendum.But all referendums Russia did, had International Observers...they comply with International Law.

What I really can't understand is why you're so accepting of first-party narratives. Russia tells you something that's inline with their own self-interest, and you simply accept it? You must be trying really hard to hold onto your pro-Russia allegiance, because most rational people would be skeptical enough to see how Russia's version of events compares with basically everybody else's.
              I don't follow Mass media, its just propaganda.
              I follow the conflict in Ukraine since 2014..

I have no allegiance to any one(only to my country perhaps..but even my country with others like France/UK too is killing a lot of black people in Africa, just to rob them gold and precious stones..its really really bad..).
              I just like geopolitics...and when you develop a taste for geopolitics...you start to understand why conflicts happen, who is creating them..who benefits, and who are the victims and who are the aggressors.

This conflict in Ukraine is very easy to decode.
              Because you've demonstrated such a shocking lack of skepticism and intellectual curiosity, I have difficulty taking anything else you say very seriously.
              Its not a question of "skepticism", its the truth..what can I do?
              Should I reject the truth?ofcourse not!

Agreed, but it's not much of an issue for truly embedded platforms and applications. Where it becomes a major barrier is in penetration of the server market and other forms of general-purpose computing.
              Agree,
              However it would be nice to have it standardised, so that one could jump from one vendor to other, and have the exact same ISA.
              Because otherwise you will need a different toolchain for each cpu, you also need to learn new extensions and so on...its a mess.
              You said you wanted freedom, and the ultimate freedom is letting people create their own extensions. I think we've seen this play out many times, in standards like OpenGL. You allow vendor-specific extensions as an experimental proving ground. Once there's some consensus on what the standard version should look like, then it gets incorporated into the standard.
              [/QUOTE]
              I would love to have freedom for the market.
              Does the companies have the right to build vendor lock in solutions?
              Of course they have..and we also have the right to reject them.
              If there are freedom from one vendor, I would be the first to reject vendor lock in solutions from others..

It could be that this cases of proprietary extensions, are the result of the lack of instructions for what is needed, that is why I say that they should sit at the table, and standardize everything.Otherwise RISCV will de dead, in the long term.
              Last edited by tuxd3v; 26 April 2023, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are talking about? 13.5 nm is infrared, a CO2 laser is a pretty old invention. The laser is guided with metal mirrors because there is no glass to transmitt this wavelenght (atleast with the amount of power the laser has). EUV is emitted by the tin drops and they need to be "lasered" accurately 50000 times a second, that is the speciality of the laser.
                The wavelenght of the lazer is 13.5 nm, its what all are using.
                As said earlier, there are more critical components than just the lenses in those machines.
                I agree there are, but I think that the one the US doesn't have is the lens.

Comment

Intel's decision to use DUV for 10 nm was mainly about cost and (perceived) time-to-market. It turned out to be the wrong decision, for the density targets they tried to achieve.

Their "Intel 4" process is EUV, however. It's already ramped up, and will produce Meteor Lake, later this year.
                  So...why is the US buying ASML machines now??
                  If they had the tech..why they need ASML??

We know they couldn't drop bellow 14nm, and they stayed there for a long long time..

Comment

Working...
                  X