Intel Arc Graphics A750 + A770 Are Ready To Run On Open-Source Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WannaBeOCer

Intel lacks serious mind share at the moment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      WannaBeOCer

Intel lacks serious mind share at the moment as well.
      Seeing Intel’s quick response to their initial awful Arc drivers compared to AMD’s none existent response of their RX 5000 series issues for the first 6 months I’m sure Intel will gain market share quickly. Especially after seeing techtubers like GamersNexus praise.

Comment

I'm interested in Ryzen AM4 CPU/Intel ARC GPU compatibility. For an inexpensive workstation that supports ECC RAM (AMD AM4 ECC "support") and machine learning (Intel ARC), but no concerns about gaming; that combo seems like it might be interesting. But I have concerns about compatibility under Linux. When benchmarks are done, can a Ryzen CPU/ARC GPU combo be included?

Comment

Ahead of the launch of the upcoming Intel Arc flagship, A770, we wanted to kick off our Arc creator coverage with an in-depth performance look at a wide-range of real-world scenarios - from encoding to rendering to photogrammetry. What does a $140 option from Intel grant you? We have many...

Some respectable results from the A380 regarding content creation.

Comment

Looks good. But being on an LTS (KUbuntu) .... and the drivers basic support is in 6.0 kernel, and better driver in 6.1 .... Looks like I 'wait' if I wanted to use the card.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
              Can we try and not do this fanboy / picking teams thing here?
              You should understand how traumatized some people are from their experience with AMD, over the years. Particularly on the GPU-compute side. It hasn't been pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                I think the current intel GPU lineup may end up on life support just like Optane.
                Optane isn't on life support. It's dead. They're selling off remaining inventory and (I think) transferring customer support to Solidigm.

There's a slight difference, which is that Intel can't live without some form of graphics for their CPUs. As long as they have to continue developing iGPUs, the additional cost of dGPUs isn't as much as if it were a completely separate business. But it's not trivial, either.

Comment

Since this is the unboxing article, I'll comment on the box & card design.

I've read that the cooler is fairly sophisticated, but I think the card isn't really much to look at. It's too buttoned-up, for my taste. I just now had another look at my old EVGA FTW card and I like how you can see the layers in the sandwich of the backplate, PCB, cooler, and cowl. But I don't use windowed cases, so what I ultimately care about the design is: noise, temperatures, and no coil-whine.

I had an old AMD HD 7870 from XFX and the quality of the cooler was utter garbage. It sounded like a lawnmower, when the fans really spun up. The EVGA card was such a revelation, being about 100 W hotter and much quieter at load. Both cards are 2-fan.

As for the box, it seems nice. Very blue.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    There's a slight difference, which is that Intel can't live without some form of graphics for their CPUs. As long as they have to continue developing iGPUs, the additional cost of dGPUs isn't as much as if it were a completely separate business. But it's not trivial, either.
                    While none of us have the full (financial) knowledge, arguably what is *far* more important is that the real money is in the Hyperscaler/HPC/DC space, and Intel absolutely needs to be in that space. They do have some dedicated AI/ML accelerators, but GPUs are part of the solution space too. Using the same (underlying) GPU architecture probably allows Intel to reduce certain duplication of efforts, and secondly, it is possible that some of the cross patent licensing fees (between Intel and AMD) can be reduced going forward, and that, too, goes into the consideration.

Comment

"NVIDIA is making progress on the open-source kernel driver side albeit will likely be a while before anything worthwhile is upstream...", this doesn't sound too surprising for me!

Anybody recall the lowest required kernel version required for a working Intel Arc GPU on Linux?

The article only states the kernel/mesa versions required for acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                      X