No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics A750 + A770 Are Ready To Run On Open-Source Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Arc Graphics A750 + A770 Are Ready To Run On Open-Source Linux Drivers

Phoronix: Intel Arc Graphics A750 + A770 Are Ready To Run On Open-Source Linux Drivers

This week was word of the Intel Arc Graphics A770 launching for $329+ on 12 October, yesterday was the embargo lift on the Arc Graphics A750 also shipping on 12 Ocrober for $289+, and now today is another embargo lift concerning Intel Arc Graphics.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks lovely! Guaranteed to work with the best opensource stack supported by Intel for all means necessary. (Suck it AMD).

Even if it is not the fastest or the "BESTEST" gpu hell yeah this is exactly what I would love to have on my linux/opensource workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
      (Suck it AMD).
      Can we try and not do this fanboy / picking teams thing here?

Thank you.

Comment

Can we try not to be too picky about people's ideas and preferences. If something sucks it should be just to say that it sucks and this is not fanboisim. I don't like NVIDIA being closed source but now it is what is serving me in my chasis and I had to say suck it NVIDIA for all the problems that I face during usage. In that regard AMD's software stack sucks (Try installing AMD Pro stuff on Fedora, or try getting OBS to work well with any FFMPEG VAAPI compression settings without overloading the encoder using only Mesa stuff). (Include the latest and the greatest news of dropped mesa VA stuff for the OOB experience for probably the main stream go to distros.)

Comment

Try installing AMD Pro stuff on Fedora, or try getting OBS to work well with any FFMPEG VAAPI compression settings without overloading the encoder using only Mesa stuff
          There's a useful script on github to create Fedora packages from the ones for Ubuntu (CosmicFusion / fedora-amdgpu-pro), for OBS you can use the obs-gstreamer vaapi plugin and capture fluent 4k60 gameplay, there's a guide on reddit and on GloriousEggroll's YouTube channel.

Happy to see Intel didn't forget about Phoronix, these cards will surely find their niche.

Comment

These are all valid solutions for that I give credit but all are duct-tape solutions to problems those should be solved by the hardware manufacturer itself. NVIDIA solves this by closed source drivers, Intel solves it by complete opensource stack. AMD on the other hand is not 100% open source ready for all its aspects. Remember RT is only recently added to its own vulkan opensource driver and RADV is just following its footsteps. Intel on the other hand readied everything before the card launch. They may not work perfectly on par with others in terms of performance or compatibility but at least they are there to begin with.

Comment

This thread reminds me of an exchange between me and my cousin when we were kids.

Did you ever hear the joke about the vacuum?

Me: No

It sucks.

Me: I don't care. I still want to hear the joke.

That's the joke. It sucks. You know, how vacuums suck stuff.

Me: ???? But what's the joke.

It was a five minute Abbot and Costello exchange before I finally figured it out. Now I'm the joke about the joke about the vacuum.

It sucks.

Comment

Looks lovely! Guaranteed to work with the best opensource stack supported by Intel for all means necessary. (Suck it AMD).

Even if it is not the fastest or the "BESTEST" gpu hell yeah this is exactly what I would love to have on my linux/opensource workstation.
                Not surprising at all, AMD cut the budget of the Radeon division to focus on their CPUs and the rest went to their gaming GPUs which put ROCm on the back burner. Without that decision I don’t think they’d be as successful as they are at today. It’s quite difficult to compete with CUDA and as AI becomes the solution to solve problems we see there is even more competition. Any business would focus on their strengths than entering an already competitive market. Just look at Intel selling off all their other business to refocus on their processors.

Aside from Nvidia here is the aggressive competition in machine learning and there is a ton more that I have left out:

Groq, Habana(now owned by Intel), Graphcore, Cerebras and Google’s TPU

Raja Koduri had a great vision for GPU acceleration which didn’t align with AMDs. Now with Intel’s funding his vision is becoming a reality.
                Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 30 September 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Saying suck it to AMD is not going to help, RDNA 3 is looking pretty scary for NVIDIA. I will be trying RDNA again within a few years.

I think the current intel GPU lineup may end up on life support just like Optane.

In all honesty who knows? Intel is going to have to play the long game, which I am skeptical at the moment that they will do.

Bottom line for consumers, absolute worst value for a GPU in terms of the price per performance that you can get, these GPU's are 2020 technology. Not to mention how much energy they consume for how little performance you are getting in the same price range of other GPU's.
                  Last edited by creative; 30 September 2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

I think the current lineup may end up on life support just like Optane.

In all honesty who knows? Intel is going to have to play the long game, which I am skeptical at the moment that they will do.

Bottom line for consumers, absolute worst value for a GPU in terms of the price per performance that you get, these GPU's are 2020 technology. Not to mention how much energy they consume for how little performance you are getting in the price range of other GPU's.
                    Intel Arc provides better ray tracing performance than the RTX 3060/RX 6600 XT while providing 4 or 8GB of vRAM more compared to the competition. Has XMX cores(tensor accelerators) which will be great for deep learning using OneAPI with plenty of vRAM. Looks like the A770 will only consume 15w more than the RX 6600 XT at stock. While TBP is 225w. Looking at their overclocking demo:

Looking at Newegg it already brought down the price of some RX 6600 XTs to $329 so that’s already a plus for gamers.

Edit: Regarding pricing and memory, only the LE version has 16GB and cost $349. A 8GB model is $329, a RX 6600 XT will be the better option for non-tray traced gaming. Ray traced gaming and deep learning go with the the 8GB A770 of Intel’s claim is correct.
                    Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 30 September 2022, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X