EVGA - Long-Time NVIDIA Partner - Ending Graphics Card Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I think ALLOT of people don't realise that AMD is still only barely %30 of the discrete GPU market.
    NVIDIA is STILL the king! I don't like it either but lets face it, they offer the stuff gamers want, functional RT and DLSS that CAN beat native outputs.
    Many may disagree with me but AMD is still catching up with NVIDIA's feature set even thought IMO AMD has better silicon roadmap, that isn't good enough by itself!

Still waiting for AMD RT performance and stability (basically a no show in RADV MESA stable atm) and also still no HDMI-2.1 support while NVIDIA has it in open and closed drivers!
    crapVidia with their proprietary blobs can go to hell. Good news btw. The sooner nvidia dies, the better.

Comment

FSR1 was terrible, FSR2.0 had artifacting, FSR2.1 is ok now but later DLSS methods still outpace it. FSR2 is limited to not as many games atm and has had less time to bake in the oven.
      You're kidding, right? DLSS is broken, blurry mess.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
        I don't think you understood what I wrote. EVGA is discarding 78% of its own revenue stream, which was Nvidia GPUs. The remaining 22% was power supplies, accessories, and other components.
        There is a difference between Revenue and Profit. Nvidia GPU for EVGA had become a loss leader. Yes lots of revenue but lot of expense paying Nvidia and having Nvidia releasing cards directly in the market restricting pricing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is a difference between Revenue and Profit. Nvidia GPU for EVGA had become a loss leader. Yes lots of revenue but lot of expense paying Nvidia and having Nvidia releasing cards directly in the market restricting pricing as well.
          Lots and lots of people will be laid off regardless. This is a very dubious decision of a single person.

Comment

FSR1 was terrible, FSR2.0 had artifacting, FSR2.1 is ok now but later DLSS methods still outpace it. FSR2 is limited to not as many games atm and has had less time to bake in the oven.

Ray Tracing is now in MANY games and works quite well with RTX cards coupled with DLSS2.x. It seems you've just not played anything with decent RT support. I really don't need to advertise it, plenty of videos on YT showing RT on/off and its worth+use...
            FSR1 is actually pretty good though? I use it in a lot of games, and I even use it on some videos too

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Also some of his statements are borderline crazy: I now cannot find the exact timestamps but he claims the company sells RTX 3080/3090 cards at a loss. Sorry, I do not believe this shit. The chip and GDDR6X cost at the most $500 and you're selling the cards at well over $1000 and you don't make profits? That's lunacy.
              Normally you need at least 50% above cost of production to make any profit. 4 to 10 percent goes to the shop. 10 to 20 percent goes to in country warehousing(yes distributor charges). Then you need percentage to cover defective and damaged in transport cards. Covering marketing and tech support... Yes there are other costs along the way that make up the 50%.

Yes the 50% is the for any product. So making at 500 and selling at 1000 is likely to be loss. Also remember Nvidia pushed up the silicon costs in the crypt mining boom.

Item like power supply is not locked to one vendor to part acquirement can be more competitive because 1 vendor cannot decide to lift part cost insanely. So I would not be surprised if EVGA looked at their profit sheets and noticed hey we are making more profit out of Power supplies. Worse would be if they found there 22% market of power supplies was profit being used to keep the Nvidia cards going out.

Comment

One thing that amazed me about EVGA is how many SKUs they had with essentially the same specs. I bought their GTX 980 Ti FTW card, but they actually had 5-7 different variations of that card on their website. Some were older iterations, but it seemed at least a few were contemporaneous. I don't really know what that's about.

Anyway, it was an excellent card. Very quiet under load, even though a 275 W card with just 2 fans. No significant coil whine, either. Also, good value for money. I was probably going to get another EVGA card if/when I bought another Nvidia GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

MSI, ASUS, Palit, Gigabyte, etc. are all selling NVIDIA GPUs with good margins, yet it's only EVGA which is not profitable.
                  They aren't, thats where you are wrong. The margins are tiny and the only way they make money is out of sheer scale. Or they cut corners in quality. All board manufacturer's are complaining about the same problem, its not just EVGA.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
                    the gpu 3rd party aftermarket serves no purpose except for the rgbs and overclockers
                    That's bullshit, where would all those purpose build cards for OEMs and ITX systems come from? Where would on get a silent or even fan less version?
                    when you can do 4k/hdr/120hz with a gpu inside the cpu
                    Yeah but that is somewhere around 20 years in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

They aren't, thats where you are wrong. The margins are tiny and the only way they make money is out of sheer scale. Or they cut corners in quality. All board manufacturer's are complaining about the same problem, its not just EVGA.
                      I would like get quotes on that. Too much BS is being spread nowadays as facts.

Comment

Working...
                      X