EVGA - Long-Time NVIDIA Partner - Ending Graphics Card Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverFox

You won't regret it. I upgraded from a 1070 to amd's 6600, non XT, A few months back, wasn't expecting much giving it's a 130 watt card, But man this card card handle any game at 1080 easily running at 100 watts. Highly recomend setting kernel param with

to unlock the card and running corectrl to set profiles
    I won't for a second believe I won't regret it: when I bought 5600 XT I filed six serious bug reports, in 6 months I sold it because AMD hadn't bothered to fix any of them. I will regret it but I'm ready for that.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I would like get quotes on that. Too much BS is being spread nowadays as facts.
      Its impossible to get straight facts because this is knowledge that is deliberately hidden behind the scenes because NVidia wants to keep it secret. You have to rely on anonymous statements (or in EVGA's case not anonymous because they are out of the game) from board partners with leaked media, and they have all said this and the sources have already been posted in this thread.

There is another one which is Linus's WAN show, he also had to directly deal with NVidia when selling their products via partners (see https://youtu.be/QADCRdzqOH0).

And there are things that are also just plain obvious to anyone who has actually ran a business, for example NVidia Founders Edition is direct competition with their partners and it basically undercuts them. For example the Founders Edition 3080 was selling for 800 MSRP when it was announced. It was impossible for any partner to sell a 3080 at that price without losing money because NVidia when selling the dies to the partner would add markup however when NVidia users their own dies for their own 3080's they obviously wouldn't mark it up for themselves. Ontop of that here are also all of the logistical advantages that gives them an unfair advantage, i.e. NVidia gets drivers and all of the details for the GPU when making the founders edition much earlier then their partners (one of the primary reasons for EVGA exiting is because NVidia would give the partners critical details right at the last minute).

They basically act like Mafia in a lot of other cases, for example during the crypto bust when partners didn't want to buy as much stock from NVidia (because then they know they wouldn't be able to sell that many GPU's) NVidia would then threaten the board partner by not allocating them as much stock for the next new "hot" generation. As a board partner at this point you have no choice, if you want to sell NVidia cards (which historically has been perceived as the best) then you have to play by their rules, otherwise you are out of business.

This is just the result of what happens when you have a monopolistic company, Intel also did the same and they got sued for it multiple times. Thats why you need competition.
      Last edited by mdedetrich; 17 September 2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

In 2022, nVidia probably gives 0 firetrucks about board partners. Why should they? They know they can sell their own cards (flagship nVidia cards compete directly against board partners), they have seen historic highs in terms of profit (2020/2021/2022 for stockholders was great) and want 100% of the pie.

Why should they play nicely with board partners? More control means more profit (it puts the risk on the board partners if they don't sell, if it does, nVidia can just take the wafers for themselves).

Imagine a reality that for phones, Google held a patent for ARM where they sold boards for phone manufacturers to use. They couldn't build their own boards, instead they had to use Googles. Google could be very controlling about this as well.

It's also really a shame that nVidia axed so many third party projects that made cool nVidia cards (dual GPUs were a thing, random cool experiments board partners would do) because they want the nVidia brand to succeed and not their board partners. It's "NVIDIA 3080" not "NVIDIA EVGA 3080", where the board partner could do weird and whacky things to bring down the value of the nVidia brand.

NVIDIA is a shitshow on every level, it's been the case for years but their cards are so good for gaming/machine learning/crypto (until it crashed this year, which will be interesting since they refused to admit people used them for mining).​

Comment

Thanks to Bitcoin miners.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            Its impossible to get straight facts because this is knowledge that is deliberately hidden behind the scenes because NVidia wants to keep it secret. ...
            They probably inject dead babies, too.

Comment

Not a good look for nvidia... they just lost one of their best partners, geez.

Comment

to unlock the card and running corectrl to set profiles
                Does this unlock deactivated CUs?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post

They probably inject dead babies, too.
                  Nope https://youtu.be/QADCRdzqOH0?t=2261

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    I've got a dead evga 9800gt somewhere in storage. was a pretty nice card. shame to see evga leave the gpu market
                    I have a lot of "dead" GPUs in a box. They're not really dead though, 99% of the time the fan fails. It's always the fan...

Comment

I wouldn't of thought so, I believe that area is down to the cards BIOS.
                      Then what does it do? Just raise frequency?

Comment

Working...
                      X