AMD Spins The Radeon RX 500X Series For Laptops/Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

This one. PC World sucks but annoyingly it's exclusive to them and there aren't exactly many Ryzens to choose from. I was initially going for the Ryzen 5 model but they dropped the price, making this one only £50 more. They've rated it at 15W TDP so you don't get the full benefit of Ryzen 7 but I gather that Vega 10 is still a significant step up from Vega 8. For the sake of £50, why not.

A 256GB SSD isn't enough for my wife so I did some investigating and ordered the parts needed to fit an additional 2.5" SATA HDD.

Unless you opt for a desktop Ryzen CPU, the only competitor to the Acer is the HP Envy x360 and while it benefits from a higher TDP of 25W, other aspects are quite poor, notably the build quality. It's also much more expensive. The Lenovo is on the way but it only has single channel RAM.
    I bought the HP Envy x360 and it's build quality is great, the reviews I have seen so far mention the same. The only downside is that the display should be brighter and the touch screen support is not yet available on Linux. If I remember right, the Acer Swift lacks dual channel memory, which is not a good base for the Vega.

Comment

Laptop with AMD gpu is totally worth a buy because of opensource drivers and thus PRIME working. Maybe this will nudge nvidia a bit to finally bake a solution for optimus as we unfortunately still have some of that hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        AMD has lost the gpu war. Gpu card manufacturers are not interested to produce enough Amd gpu cards. No way to get reasonable priced Gigabyte RX560 2GB in EU. I was forced to order GTX 1050 2GB, let us see if that arrives in a week or two. I sold my Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 560 PC and I am building a new one. Tough times for a PC builder.
        No they haven't, they are usually competitively priced but people and e-tailers still charge a leg and arm for em cause they used to be able to get that kind of money for em.
        Lately they've dropped quite a bit and RX580 is now priced better than 1060 at my main e-tailer in EU.

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        Laptop with AMD gpu is totally worth a buy because of opensource drivers and thus PRIME working. Maybe this will nudge nvidia a bit to finally bake a solution for optimus as we unfortunately still have some of that hardware.
        in Laptops the ryzen apu's is what I'd recommend, polaris doesn't really shine in laptops at all but lets hope amd makes better hardware in the future

Comment

And next week they'll announce a new GPU architecture, and moving everything GCN into legacy state.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            And next week they'll announce a new GPU architecture, and moving everything GCN into legacy state.
            I've seen this nagging for quite a while, I have a terrascale gpu in a box and me personally haven't felt it's missing out on anything in windows, and in linux oss driver still supports terrascale doesn't it ?
            what's missing (Just curios)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              There is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 also now with Ryzen 7 2700U (and other lower, from 3 up to that 7 ):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...nd-all-in-ones
              Sorry for offtopic, but does anyone notice how Forbes' site looks totally like a typical scammers' site. If I did not know the famous journal "Forbes", and somebody referred me there — I'd be like "Omg, don't click anything! Did you download anything from there??".

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                There is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 also now with Ryzen 7 2700U (and other lower, from 3 up to that 7 ):
                I started panicking a little but I'm telling myself I made the right choice. These Dells aren't available in the UK yet, who knows what the pricing will be here, and I can't see any reviews for them. They look nice but I suspect the price will reflect that.

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I bought the HP Envy x360 and it's build quality is great, the reviews I have seen so far mention the same. The only downside is that the display should be brighter and the touch screen support is not yet available on Linux. If I remember right, the Acer Swift lacks dual channel memory, which is not a good base for the Vega.
                I was recalling a comment from this review, which I suppose is more of a minor point. I wouldn't have spent £900 on it anyway.

Perhaps the worst physical aspect of the new design is its dual hinges. They feel weaker than the hinges of the Yoga 720 series and are more susceptible to movement when lifting and transporting the notebook. Stiffness is not distributed evenly throughout; the display tends to "fall" once it passes an angle of about 140 degrees or so. The hinges are just barely enough to prevent teetering whilst typing on a flat table and not much more. Otherwise, the lid itself is strong with minimal side-to-side twisting and light-moderate warping when applying pressure down its outer center.
                As for the Acer Swift's memory, this review indicates that it has two banks. They're soldered on, which sucks, but you get what you pay for, I suppose.
                Last edited by Chewi; 12 April 2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

AMD has lost the gpu war. Gpu card manufacturers are not interested to produce enough Amd gpu cards. No way to get reasonable priced Gigabyte RX560 2GB in EU. I was forced to order GTX 1050 2GB, let us see if that arrives in a week or two. I sold my Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 560 PC and I am building a new one. Tough times for a PC builder.
                  Total bull. AMD cards are right up there with Nvidia when it comes to compute performance and even surpass them. That's why AMD cards trade at a higher premium than Nvidia: because they offer more compute for the price and miners snap them up in bulk. AMD has absolutely not "lost the GPU war" - the add in card makers simply can't get enough supply of the chips. They were until recently trading at 75% over list. now they're a "mere" 40% or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

This one. PC World sucks but annoyingly it's exclusive to them and there aren't exactly many Ryzens to choose from. I was initially going for the Ryzen 5 model but they dropped the price, making this one only £50 more. They've rated it at 15W TDP so you don't get the full benefit of Ryzen 7 but I gather that Vega 10 is still a significant step up from Vega 8. For the sake of £50, why not.

A 256GB SSD isn't enough for my wife so I did some investigating and ordered the parts needed to fit an additional 2.5" SATA HDD.

Unless you opt for a desktop Ryzen CPU, the only competitor to the Acer is the HP Envy x360 and while it benefits from a higher TDP of 25W, other aspects are quite poor, notably the build quality. It's also much more expensive. The Lenovo is on the way but it only has single channel RAM.
                    Indeed, the 13.3" Lenovo 720s only has single channel RAM, which makes it a lot less interesting, but still decent. However, this month the E485 and E585 Thinkpads should be getting out, and the Thinkpads A285 and A485 later this year. I'm especially exited for the A485. Main dealbreaker for me in the Acer Swift 3 is it's soldered 8GB memory, I'd like at least 16. Oh, and there's also the 17.3" Dell Inspiron 17 5000 with Ryzen Mobile.
                    Last edited by Decay; 12 April 2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

United States is not the universe or the whole world. However, many US citizen believe so.
                      Surely, a statement that can only improve the quality of any (unrelated) discussion.

Comment

Working...
                      X