Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Spins The Radeon RX 500X Series For Laptops/Desktops

Phoronix: AMD Spins The Radeon RX 500X Series For Laptops/Desktops

Following rumors the past few days, AMD officially confirmed the Radeon RX 500X series today for desktops and notebooks, but these effectively are just re-branded GPUs for OEM builders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn, I just ordered a 2700U + Vega 10 laptop today. Still, these would probably be out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      Damn, I just ordered a 2700U + Vega 10 laptop today. Still, these would probably be out of my price range.
      If I may ask, which one? I'm looking for something like this myself to replace my aging laptop.

Comment

So can we say this is range RX5xxX?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

If I may ask, which one? I'm looking for something like this myself to replace my aging laptop.
          This one. PC World sucks but annoyingly it's exclusive to them and there aren't exactly many Ryzens to choose from. I was initially going for the Ryzen 5 model but they dropped the price, making this one only £50 more. They've rated it at 15W TDP so you don't get the full benefit of Ryzen 7 but I gather that Vega 10 is still a significant step up from Vega 8. For the sake of £50, why not.

A 256GB SSD isn't enough for my wife so I did some investigating and ordered the parts needed to fit an additional 2.5" SATA HDD.

Unless you opt for a desktop Ryzen CPU, the only competitor to the Acer is the HP Envy x360 and while it benefits from a higher TDP of 25W, other aspects are quite poor, notably the build quality. It's also much more expensive. The Lenovo is on the way but it only has single channel RAM.

Comment

There is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 also now with Ryzen 7 2700U (and other lower, from 3 up to that 7 ):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick...nd-all-in-ones
            Last edited by dungeon; 11 April 2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              the Polaris 12 GPUs at least have a slightly higher clock, but that's about it.
              Well, there's also the fact that it now has up to 10 CU. So, if you can get a 1287 MHz boost clock @ 10 CU, then you get ~36% more compute than the RX 550. And @ 128-bit GGDR5, it should still have bandwidth to spare.

I wonder if it's still capped at 50 W, though I'm guessing not.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                AMD has lost the gpu war.
                In which alternative universe is this? Last time I checked, every make and model AMD GPU was selling out as fast as they can produce them, mainly due to cryptocurrency mining.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  In which alternative universe is this?
                  In his head... he ordered GTX 1050, so AMD has lost GPU World War 3+ . Mario missed the castle as usual, so Luigi wins

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    AMD has lost the gpu war. Gpu card manufacturers are not interested to produce enough Amd gpu cards.
                    RX 580's are currently selling for the lowest price I've seen this year: $340 @ newegg. That's still above MSRP, but almost reasonable.

RX 560 2 GB is now down to $155.

What's perhaps more interesting is that you consider these elevated selling prices as insufficient motivation for board makers to produce units. That's quite some fanciful logic.

Comment

Working...
                    X