Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Thelio Ramps Up AI & Creator Performance With New AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Thelio Ramps Up AI & Creator Performance With New AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs

Phoronix: System76 Thelio Ramps Up AI & Creator Performance With New AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs

System76 has opted to offer new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series processors in their Thelio Major desktop line-up to provide for greater performance from AI and creator workloads to all common code compilation and other tasks leveraging many CPU cores/threads. The new System76 Thelio Major powered by Zen 4 Threadripper is being shown off this week at CES 2024 in Las Vegas at AMD's booth. A review on the new Thelio Major workstation will also be forthcoming on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Talk about a company with an identity crisis.

Imagine the meeting when the details of these systems were being ironed out:

CEO: People, the economy sucks, people have less disposable income, and we are a small boutique shop trying to compete against established much larger known brands, I want ideas on how to grow the business.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: Generally in a tough economic climate you either move your product range downmarket to try and sell higher volumes at lower margins or move upmarket and go whale hunting, I say we go after the deep pockets, the people with so much money that the economy doesn't affect them. I say we go after the Apple crowd.

CEO: Brilliant, i love it! How do we go about realizing this?

Everyone else: I know, let's create a custom desktop written in Rust and then give it away to everyone for free, without them having to buy a system from us.

CEO: Fantastic! More!

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: Wait, what?!?

Everyone else: Let's also create generic looking cases that do not differentiate our products from the competition!

CEO: Really good stuff, we are cooking with fire!

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: I picked the wrong day to stop smocking.

Everyone else: Let's also only offer Linux, an OS that has less than 1% of the desktop market, in order to minimize our potential client base.

CEO: Wow, this is all coming together so fast!

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: I picked the wrong day to stop drinking.

Everyone else: We will pretend that we are targeting the content creation and AI markets, offer TR 7000 series CPU's, with ECC ram, Nvidia GPUs, with the proprietary drivers that Linux users love to hate, and it's all going to be a waste of clock cycles because most of the software that can leverage this hardware is Windows only.

CEO: Awesome reasoning!

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: How about we redesign our cases to make them more aesthetically pleasing, maybe embrace a Gorilla Glass motif, let's work out a deal with the Gorilla Glass people, our cases will be made out of their glass and guaranteed to be unbreakable, can have a nice Gorilla logo designed for the side of the cases that lights up.

CEO: Go on.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: We don't release our Rust coded DE as GPL, we keep it exclusive for our systems, we do not offer AMD, we offer intel Xeons with the AI hardware accelerators built in, and we couple them with Nvidia GPUs. We also offer the only dual boot system commercially available, Windows 11 and our PoP_OS with exclusive DE renamed to RUSTY! Lastly we designate 10 systems as giveaways, 5 we are going to give away to the most influential review sites as a no strings attached gift and 5 we will give away to the general public in a random drawling.Maybe we also try to get some product placement in an Indie film that is shot for Netflix. Maybe we also embrace our System76 name and offer 1776 themed cases.

CEO: These are all very intriguing ideas, but we have to keep it real, real stupid and broke, and we will just continue offering the lackluster, uninspired systems we currently do.

CEO: Oh, and you're fired.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: Thank God and thanks for the unemployment.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 09 January 2024, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Michael, they created a page for the new Thelio Mega.

The world’s smallest quad-GPU workstation for deep learning and scientific computing.

Comment

@sophisticles
        That's always funny to read some idiotic nobodies like you who never achieved anything in their life giving free business lessons about how to run a company....

Insulting those who contribute greatly to the Linux ecosystem is truly disgusting.

I hope it took time for you to write all of this because I gave up reading after 4 lines...
        Last edited by rmfx; 09 January 2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

CEO: People, the economy sucks, people have less disposable income, and we are a small boutique shop trying to compete against established much larger known brands, I want ideas on how to grow the business.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: Generally in a tough economic climate you either move your product range downmarket to try and sell higher volumes at lower margins or move upmarket and go whale hunting, I say we go after the deep pockets, the people with so much money that the economy doesn't affect them. I say we go after the Apple crowd.

Everyone else: I know, let's create a custom desktop written in Rust and then give it away to everyone for free, without them having to buy a system from us.

Everyone else: Let's also create generic looking cases that do not differentiate our products from the competition!

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: I picked the wrong day to stop smocking.

Everyone else: Let's also only offer Linux, an OS that has less than 1% of the desktop market, in order to minimize our potential client base.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: I picked the wrong day to stop drinking.

Everyone else: We will pretend that we are targeting the content creation and AI markets, offer TR 7000 series CPU's, with ECC ram, Nvidia GPUs, with the proprietary drivers that Linux users love to hate, and it's all going to be a waste of clock cycles because most of the software that can leverage this hardware is Windows only.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: How about we redesign our cases to make them more aesthetically pleasing, maybe embrace a Gorilla Glass motif, let's work out a deal with the Gorilla Glass people, our cases will be made out of their glass and guaranteed to be unbreakable, can have a nice Gorilla logo designed for the side of the cases that lights up.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: We don't release our Rust coded DE as GPL, we keep it exclusive for our systems, we do not offer AMD, we offer intel Xeons with the AI hardware accelerators built in, and we couple them with Nvidia GPUs. We also offer the only dual boot system commercially available, Windows 11 and our PoP_OS with exclusive DE renamed to RUSTY! Lastly we designate 10 systems as giveaways, 5 we are going to give away to the most influential review sites as a no strings attached gift and 5 we will give away to the general public in a random drawling.Maybe we also try to get some product placement in an Indie film that is shot for Netflix. Maybe we also embrace our System76 name and offer 1776 themed cases.

CEO: These are all very intriguing ideas, but we have to keep it real, real stupid and broke, and we will just continue offering the lackluster, uninspired systems we currently do.

The only person with a business background in the entire meeting: Thank God and thanks for the unemployment.
          Bro, fleshbags in marketing dont wear smocks

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            you believe that the one with a business degree is the only relevant person in the room... and you believe this is how the economy function

wrong wrong wrong... in modern times we life in a attention based economy and in a attention based economy the dude with a PR/advertisement degree is more important than the person with a business degree and thats the point with releasing a RUST writen desktop in a GPL license because this lands them in the news here on phoronix.com all the time. without that they would not make any sales because news side like phoronix.com would ignore them.

your knowelege about how to make business is really 30-40 years outdated because yes 40 years ago it worked like you say but with the internet and any information travel fast modern business really are driven by a attention based economy and without products who give you cheap attention like a rust desktop you go out of business very fast because other companies will take the cheap attention very fast.

by the way now you maybe think in a classic way of PR/advertisment degree no of course not i really mean Social-Media Attention PR... like our chat in this forum... or reddit or some people post a video on youtube. in modern business attention is all you need to sell your products.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

sophisticles isn't that wrong, though. Take me. I need a new case. An ATX mid tower only holds so many drives and fans. The biggest, best case that System76 offers starts at $329 and it holds less drives and fans than my current mid tower. I can spend half on a Phanteks that can hold double digit fans and SSDs. For the cost of a tricked out System 76 case, meaning two accents, GPU fans, and without the CPU cooler, $428 before tax, I can buy a motherboard and a case that is more capable for a workstation.

System76 doesn't offer motherboards.

While I'd love to buy from and support a company that supports Linux, open firmware, and FOSS in general, what hardware they offer for enthusiasts doesn't cover my needs. It's premium and looks nice, but it's about as capable, extendable, as the stuff from HP or Dell in Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                @sophisticles
                That's always funny to read some idiotic nobodies like you who never achieved anything in their life giving free business lessons about how to run a company....

Insulting those who contribute greatly to the Linux ecosystem is truly disgusting.

I hope it took time for you to write all of this because I gave up reading after 4 lines...
                How do you know what I have achieved?

How do you know it was funny if you stopped reading after 4 lines?

What exactly is System76's "great" contributions to the "Linux ecosystem"?

More importantly, how many of these systems are you planning on buying?

Zero, Zip, Nada, or None?

But you're right, it's brilliant to target the AI and content creation market, offer Linux so that it effectively limits the software you can run, offer AMD and then use Nvidia cards which need proprietary drivers in order to work with any AI software and then put all of that into uninspired bland cases,

I'm sure they'll sell a ton.

It's not like someone can just build a better system themselves and install Ubuntu, all for a fraction of the price,

Oh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  wrong wrong wrong... in modern times we life in a attention based economy and in a attention based economy the dude with a PR/advertisement degree is more important than the person with a business degree and thats the point with releasing a RUST writen desktop in a GPL license because this lands them in the news here on phoronix.com all the time. without that they would not make any sales because news side like phoronix.com would ignore them.
                  Do you know where the flaw in your theory is? Of course you don't, because if you did you would not have written what you did.

The Rust DE they are creating is GPL'd and they have already stated that they plan on releasing PoP_OS+Rust DE for free the same way that they offer PoP_OS for download now.

And if this Rust DE is any good, within 90 days we will have a Fedora spin, a Ubuntu spin, it will show up in all the repos and just like now when you do not have to spend any money to use PoP_OS you will not have to spend a dime to use it.

You claim you have 2 TR systems. Assume that you learn from Michael's review that the new Rust DE is great, fantastic, best Linux DE available,

Are you going to spend thousands buying a new TR system from System76 just to use the DE or are you going going to install it on your current system and call it a day?

So people talk about them, so what?

No one is going to spend thousands of dollars to buy a system when the main selling point can be had for free.
                  Last edited by sophisticles; 09 January 2024, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    While I'd love to buy from and support a company that supports Linux, open firmware, and FOSS in general, what hardware they offer for enthusiasts doesn't cover my needs. It's premium and looks nice, but it's about as capable, extendable, as the stuff from HP or Dell in Walmart.
                    Thar's exactly my point. Right now they offer nothing unique, I can walk into a Microcenter and buy the parts to make a system as i see fit.

But if they took a page out of Apple's playbook they may be able to sell a few systems,

Apple for years offered systems that cost a shitload of money but performed worse than the x86 counterparts. Even when Apple went with Intel, Apple's computers still usually performed worse than a system that a end user could build himself for less money.

But what Apple had was some of the most beautiful cases you ever saw.

The iLamps are legendary for a reason, they are absolutely gorgeous.

The square iMac were/are a thing of beauty with some of the nicest displays you ever saw.

I remember a friend of mine buying a G5 iMac brand new years ago and making fun of him for spending so much money on a system that was slower than a similarly priced x86.

Then i went over his house and saw the system in person, i remember sitting in front of the iMac, he had those great Apple speakers, and we downloaded The Troggs "Love Is All Around" and all I could think is I have to have one of these.

Go into an Apple store and look at one of the new iMacs and tell me which system the average buyer would rather have.

Comment

Working...
                    X