Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.4 Goes Ahead And Starts Removing Old PCMCIA Drivers

Phoronix: Linux 6.4 Goes Ahead And Starts Removing Old PCMCIA Drivers

As noted back in March, the plan with Linux 6.4 is to start removing old, unused and unmaintained PCMCIA drivers. As part of that process to begin dropping old PCMCIA/CardBus driver code from the kernel, all of the PCMCIA "char" drivers were on the chopping block. Linus Torvalds pulled in the char/misc changes this week for Linux 6.4 and indeed those drivers are now removed. Meanwhile this pull introduced the new AMD CDX subsystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Droppiung (in short description)

Comment

I wonder when ExpressCard will face the wood chipper. I just bought a adapter to convert this thing in a USB port in my ancient Thinkpad T430.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        I wonder when ExpressCard will face the wood chipper. I just bought a adapter to convert this thing in a USB port in my ancient Thinkpad T430.
        Well, that's based on PCIe, so it might not go away for a very long time.

Comment

For those of us still using PCMCIA-equipped hardware, a reminder netbsd and openbsd tend to be better options there.

Much more structured systems, with stable driver APIs and mostly free of monkeys making changes all over the place, to code they don't understand, and without testing said changes; That is indeed the norm in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            For those of us still using PCMCIA-equipped hardware, a reminder netbsd and openbsd tend to be better options there.

Much more structured systems, with stable driver APIs and mostly free of monkeys making changes all over the place, to code they don't understand, and without testing said changes; That is indeed the norm in Linux.
            Yes, and so few users you have to troll linux articles trying to find some.

Comment

... and mostly free of monkeys making changes all over the place, to code they don't understand, and without testing said changes; That is indeed the norm in Linux.
              I tend to agree.

Doesn't take much effort to accidentally break something, that was working fine for years.

Comment

I wish ExpressCard would still be a thing. Being able to extend the functionality of a Laptop with whatever I want was awesome!

Comment

Funny how all the BSDs are literally copying modern linux kernel APIs. Free/Open/NetBSD have all copied linux's DRM subsystem verbatim.

There was a huge argument to be made for this back in the 2000s, but linux has matured dramatically since then.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Funny how all the BSDs are literally copying modern linux kernel APIs. Free/Open/NetBSD have all copied linux's DRM subsystem verbatim.

There was a huge argument to be made for this back in the 2000s, but linux has matured dramatically since then.
                    I don't have a problem with Free/Open/NetBSD copying Linux code. Look at Ubuntu, and all it's derivatives.

Comment

Working...
                    X