X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
    hope next version will use a much powerfull cpu and more ram
    I really doubt that it's needed.
    It's not a hi-res display, and you don't have all the bloat of Android, and planned obsoletion.
    Think back some years, and remember how well phones with lower specs used to fare, when they were new.
    The most resource hungry app on a Linux-phone, is most likely the web-browser, and the camera. These things used to work just fine on previous phones with less specs than the pro has. I do believe that slow phones, with similar specs, are slow because of bloat. This is why older phones can feel almost on par with new ones, if you install postmarket OS, or the likes.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrf View Post

I really doubt that it's needed.
      It's not a hi-res display, and you don't have all the bloat of Android, and planned obsoletion.
      Think back some years, and remember how well phones with lower specs used to fare, when they were new.
      The most resource hungry app on a Linux-phone, is most likely the web-browser, and the camera. These things used to work just fine on previous phones with less specs than the pro has. I do believe that slow phones, with similar specs, are slow because of bloat. This is why older phones can feel almost on par with new ones, if you install postmarket OS, or the likes.
      year after year, web site need more resource and the 1440 x 720​ resolution of the pinephone pro is already a big issue

Comment

$399 same as steam deck

Comment

I still am not happy with the phone software on linux, I did see someone is working on some stuff using smithay, so maybe that might be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            I still am not happy with the phone software on linux,
            Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not disagreeing with you; just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not disagreeing with you; just curious.
              not a single DE that I like and the apps are lacking, Ive been doing a bit of work on flutter stuff recently and am really hoping that flutter can bridge a lot of the missing apps (since oh boy is everything else bad IMO)

Comment

How good is Anbox working on this devices? Also or over Anbox how well Telegram especially voice chat and video chat?

My problem I have with this devices is they are for me expensive I otherwise use 2 used Sony XA2 one with iodeos (similar to lineageos) and the other with SailfishOS, which is as OS great, yet the Telegram APP is echoing and I did not spend the 50 Dollar to get the full version of Sailfishos which means I can't use Anbox on it.

Another central tool is my german Postoffice / Paketdelivery DHL App. So for just a fun phone that can't replace really a normal phone this prices are to expensive, even if it can replace other phones it can be expensive, the fuckin keyboard case costs more than my sony phones (sure 2nd hand but that does not really matter to me).

Ohh and yes occasionally it should also work as navigation system. Can it do that more or less perfectly? And I hope I don't have to use the keyboard to do this daily on the run tasks?

It's just to expensive if it's just a additional phone and can't replace the limited task I do over the android phone. It should either be able to replace that or as more a toy, it should be cheaper.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 31 December 2022, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

And all of the components drivers upstreamed before shipping..
                  The whole reason why a device at this price is doable is because the manufacturer only sells hardware, but gives out all the resources needed like datasheets and schematics.
                  Pine64, or any manufacturer on this price level simply has to take what components are on offer and make the best out of it and beside that also have to think about things like energy usage, and sometimes fitting components just aren't up-streamed yet.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    How good is Anbox working on this devices? Also or over Anbox how well Telegram especially voice chat and video chat?

My problem I have with this devices is they are for me expensive I otherwise use 2 used Sony XA2 one with iodeos (similar to lineageos) and the other with SailfishOS, which is as OS great, yet the Telegram APP is echoing and I did not spend the 50 Dollar to get the full version of Sailfishos which means I can't use Anbox on it.

Another central tool is my german Postoffice / Paketdelivery DHL App. So for just a fun phone that can't replace really a normal phone this prices are to expensive, even if it can replace other phones it can be expensive, the fuckin keyboard case costs more than my sony phones (sure 2nd hand but that does not really matter to me).

Ohh and yes occasionally it should also work as navigation system. Can it do that more or less perfectly? And I hope I don't have to use the keyboard to do this daily on the run tasks?

It's just to expensive if it's just a additional phone and can't replace the limited task I do over the android phone. It should either be able to replace that or as more a toy, it should be cheaper.
                    No one really cares about Anbox anymore, its dead. Waydroid fully replaced it in any way, shape and form.

Beside that, if you want a end user ready experience, this is not it yet. It may even be overwhelming for many of the more experienced Linux users. It is a outlook into a potential future for those who want to help shape this future.

Comment

Pinephone VS Android/texmux, pine wins. On termux you cannot run many important packages like docker. You can run npm/firerox/kitty and about anything you might need for development. But the android kernel doesn't support docker.

On the other hand I feel the big display of my Samsung Galaxy Fold 3 makes it better as a pocket computer. I wish there was a foldable pinephone.

Both devices are so close to what I need. But not there yet.
                      Last edited by Zeioth; 31 December 2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X