Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Want To See Out Of The Redesigned, Next-Gen Raspberry Pi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    x86 CPU.
    I, too, want to pay triple the price, for hardware that consumes twice as much power!

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

I, too, want to pay triple the price, for hardware that consumes twice as much power!
      Here you have it, starts at $99 tax excluded Is that what you talking about?

Comment

Primary to fail, and thus put more limelight on the boards based on Rockchip and other, less crappy designs.

Comment

The only thing I always criticize about RPi boards, is the poor Ethernet performance, due to the usage of a USB to Ethernet interface. So yeah, give me decent Ethernet speed (gigabit would be a plus) and I'm in.

Comment

* Stopping the proprietary firmware shit would be a dream. At the moment it is a PITA when I hit firmware bugs and the tools interfacing with GPU are mostly obscure at least.
            * Dedicated and integrated Fast Ethernet PHY and MAC
            * At least one USB2 full speed port. Other SoC makers have one OTG USB port and at least another Host only port which is usually followed by a Hub
            * Keep power under control, maybe A55 cores could be a nice introduction

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

https://up-shop.org/up-boards/272-up-board.html
              That's what we call an alternative, though.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                And performs 10x better and runs proper software. Sounds like a steal.

Comment

How about

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

https://up-shop.org/up-boards/272-up-board.html
                    That board is three times the cost of a rpi3b and requires 50% more power, so yes.

Comment

Having more 2-4GB DRAM will allow building the OS in ARMv8 64-bit (~10% more memory overhead due to double the pointer sizes, ~15% throughput).

Secondly, the additional memory will allow much better compositing/3D due to large textures and mipmaps for 2K or 4K displays.

Finally, rather than four Cortex A55s, two Cortex A55s at 20% higher clockspeed (lower cost?) would give a better experience and offset the higher cost of the DRAM.

Comment

Working...
                      X