Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Radeon 9800 in Lucid? Resolution and Aspect Ratio issues

Good day all

I'm pretty new to Linux, and was convinced to install it by a friend who swears by it. However, not even he could help me with the issues I'm having.

As per the title, I've got a Radeon 9800-series running Lucid. It's connected to a FullHD LCD using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Since the PC is used mainly as an HTPC, I would like 1080P resolution, which is lacking at the moment. So here goes a list of questions:

1) The screen setup in Lucid autodetects my monitor as a "Priva Hortimation 37" monitor, even though its not. (Its a Sinotech 47", which is probably a rebranded Chinese generic). I realise it's not the most expensive screen so the screen ID could be wrong, but the issue is Lucid recognises the screen as a 4:3 screen, while it should be 16:9. It gives the highest resolution as 1600x1200 which fills the whole screen, although everything looks squat. If I select 720P, the top and bottom panels are cut off (1080P is not available). Can I try to force linux to see the screen as 16:9, and how?

2) The max resolution is, as above, given as 1600x1200. I've tried using gtf and xrandr (newline, addline, modeline) to manually set up a 1920x1080 resolution, however the newline command returns S-Video as the source. I try to use addline to force DVI, but using that modeline results in a blank display. Is there a way to get gtf/xrandr to automatically allocate a new resolution to the DVI?

3) I've read a lot about ATI-linux drivers, few of them positive. I understand that Lucid installs Catalyst 10.4 as default (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm VERY new to this). However ATI recommends 9.3 for a Radeon 9800. Is it worthwhile going throught the effort of reverting to an older driver? Did it solve a problem for anyone else?

Any help in this regard will be appreciated, I want to use Ubuntu as my sole HTPC OS but so far have not been able to set it up correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Using cvt instead of gtf appears to succeed in more cases.
    Code:
    $ cvt -r 1920 1080
    followed by xrandr --newmode and xrandr --addmode should add the desired mode to the list which is displayed by xrandr. See here how to make this permanent in xorg.conf. The catalyst driver in Ubuntu 10.04 does not support your card.

Comment

Please pastebin (using a web service) your xorg log so we can see which driver is running. Sounds like you may be running the VESA driver. The fglrx driver definitely won't work with that card and Lucid.
      Test signature

Comment

Are you sure that your tv is not only 1360x768?

Comment

Hi there

Thanks for the info. Chithanh, the link seems very useful, can't believe I didn't get it in all the searching I've done for a solution! I was afraid of the driver issue, so I'll download the (older) ATI driver tonight. Seems like a mission to replace drivers in Ubuntu, but that may be my inexperienced perception. BTW I've tried cvt, but spent more time on gtf, so I'll give that some more effort when I get home. Will also try to upload the xorg log.

Kano, the PC is a dual-boot with XP, and XP can output a 1080P with the same hardware (card, cable, screen). My PS3 also sees the screen as 1080P. So I don't have any reason to doubt the screen (the technical details in the manual also lists maximum resolution as 1920x1080). Was worth a shot, though :-) Even so, why would Ubuntu detect the screen as 4:3?

Again, thanks for the inputs, I'll definitely give this some attention.

Comment

The 9.3 Catalyst driver is not going to work on Lucid. Suggest you don't go there - it'll just make for an unhappy Peanut.
            Test signature

Comment

Hi all

I've spent some time on the issue last night again, and can happily report that Lucid now boots up into 1080P :-) Thanks for the advice regarding the drivers, I think it would have been an uphill battle if I went that route. In the end I reverted to the "radeon" open-source drivers packaged with Ubuntu, made a xorg.conf file to handle startup (thanks for the link chithanh!) and just avoided any proprietary drivers. So, mission accomplished. Now to find out what happened to the network manager applet, but that's for another thread...
              In the end cvt gave a proper modeline which --newmode to an S-video input, --addmode to DVI-0, and when I xrandr that modeline I get ouput, not a black screen. Sides were chopped off, but I played around with the LCD settings as well, when I changed the scan mode from normal to full, the LCD picked the HDMI input as 1080P, borders 100%.

So, thanks for your advice!

Comment

Working...
              X