Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given up on ATI. sold and bought an NVidia

i gave up with ATI.
    I'm tired of always being promised that LATER, the drivers will be better than NVidia's

I sold my ATI 4870 and bought a GeForce GTX 260 (216 55nm).
    I want working compiz TODAY, and same day Xorg support.
    we should all do a petition telling ATI they need to deliver NOW, and not keep promising later. Or at least get an official roadmap

True, ATI may deliver in 6 months, and I'll reconsider them then (though they'll have to EARN my business by delivering, not promising),
    I'm just tired of excitedly installing each new catalyst to see little or no improvement.

My laptop with onboard intel gfx does compiz, but my $300 ATI doesn't?
    you've got to be joking

Hmm... I have (strangely) better experience with ATi than NVidia. Overall, I think the NVidia drivers just suck..

O well, your choice, good luck .

Comment

Did you test it with KDE 3.5?

Comment

i'm on Arch Linux i686 with Gnome.
        I've spend the last 6 months with the 4870, with everyone promising that 'soon' drivers will be better than nvidia.

i'm just tired of waiting.

We might have to wait until Catalyst 9.3, but we also might have to wait until catalyst 11.12

why wait when i already know nvidia's binary blob is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          catalyst 9-3 works nice here :-)
          9.3? where'd you get it? is there a link available to dl?
          (or was it a typo? )

Comment

so it isn't my cards lucky day
            any info on new features and such? (particularly xserver 1.6 support, and fixes to xv+composite?)

Comment

Can we stop this right now please ?
              Test signature

Comment

... it's your lucky day becourse i'm not in the amd beta programm no NDA! ;-)

vx sould be fixet in the 8.582rc2--->9-2 catalyst...

xserver 1,6 comes in the 9-3 or 9-4. (i don'T thest this already)
                if that happens, that's great.
                but if we look back, ATI took quite a while to support XServer 1.5
                it cause havock for lots of distros that wanted to ship Xserver 1.5, but couldn't without breaking everyone with an ATI card

Comment

I'm gonna enable compositing in a few days! yay!

bridgman, is discussing this stuff really that bad? after all there are some book-long threads about the leaked 9.1 and 9.2 drivers (and no harm's done)

+1 about the open betas too (yeah, I know you're not taking votes )

Comment

Host/Kernel/OS "ass" running Linux 2.6.28-6-generic i686 [ sidux 2008-04 Πόντος - kde-lite - (200812222321) ]
                    "Πόντος"! ...and I was wondering if there were any greeks lurking in these forums

seems like you've paid amd enough to hire a couple more linux developers
                    my latest system's all amd too... guess I bought into the "supporting foss" statements... haven't regretted (yet) though...

Comment

Working...
                    X