Radeon vs. Modesetting DDX Performance Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
    Did modesetting not use glamor (hardware accelerated) through mesa dri driver? About what SW rendering you say?
    I was under the impression that Eric's glamor + modesetting patches had not gone upstream yet, maybe I missed it...
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I was under the impression that Eric's glamor + modesetting patches had not gone upstream yet, maybe I missed it...
      Hmm, I thought Glamor was already in earlier and Xv was just en route. Must've been dreaming then

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Hmm, I thought Glamor was already in earlier and Xv was just en route. Must've been dreaming then
        Glamor has been around for a long time, just not used by the modesetting driver AFAIK (if it was supported earlier, why would Eric be adding glamor support in Oct 14 ?). I could be wrong though...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
        Test signature

Comment

They have been upstream for a while in the xserver. It's not clear whether the modesetting driver in this case was using acceleration or not.

And yes, for a lot of X rendering operations, sw is faster than hw since:
          1. Most of the ops pre-date hw acceleration so the semantics do not map well to hw.
          2. Lots of ops are not commonly used so no one has even attempted to hw accelerate them
          3. Switching between hw and sw is slower than all hw or all sw since there is synchronization and possibly extra copying involved.

Comment

Glamor has been around for a long time, just not used by the modesetting driver AFAIK (if it was supported earlier, why would Eric be adding glamor support in Oct 14 ?). I could be wrong though...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTgwODY
            Wasn't it also that one of the more-publicly visible Intel devs (possibly Eric?) was only convinced several months ago that the entire Glamor route actually makes sense and can be made fast. Iirc there was some news about Intel Glamor having had software fallbacks replaced with hw ones and it got significantly faster than earlier. I guess upstreamed, not enabled by default would go in line with what I recall, I ended up setting Glamor manually anyway when testing the driver

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              It's not clear whether the modesetting driver in this case was using acceleration or not.
              The author has also done some benchmarks with games, which means he had acceleration.

AFAIK the difference is compositing, as I said in an earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                The author has also done some benchmarks with games, which means he had acceleration.

AFAIK the difference is compositing, as I said in an earlier post.
                On that note, are there any plans to support Present anytime soon with the radeon ddx?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  On that note, are there any plans to support Present anytime soon with the radeon ddx?
                  I recall devs saying it might happen on xorg-x11-modesetting first. And given radeon driver may end up in maintenance mode once the modesetting driver is mature enough, Present may well never come to radeon ddx.

Comment

Working...
                  X