Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dillo 3.1 Lightweight Web Browser Released After Nine Years

Phoronix: Dillo 3.1 Lightweight Web Browser Released After Nine Years

Dillo 3.1 has been released to succeed the Dillo 3.0.5 release all the way back from 2015... Dillo is a lightweight web browser making use of the FLTK toolkit and is cross-platform, maintains few dependencies, and implements its own rendering engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so glad it didn't die out after the previous hijack.

Comment

Ah, Dillo. Some fond memories of long long ago

Comment

I still remember when "Lightweight Web Browser" was a thing. Nowadays the heaviest app a average user "use" is a web browser. A couple years a got a laptop with a AMD C50 cpu and boy, did modern web pages could bring that little thing to its knees. Did you guys know that Wikipedia's front page is surprisingly heavy? Anyway, I did test Dillo at the time but, unless I was trying to open a very simple webpage, it was unable to display most of what is out there. I hope this new version can expand considerably the number of pages it can handle.

Comment

Cool, good old Dillo is still alive. I haven't used it recently, time to install it again.

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
          I'm so glad it didn't die out after the previous hijack.
          Hijack, any link?

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Anyway, I did test Dillo at the time but, unless I was trying to open a very simple webpage, it was unable to display most of what is out there.
          Last time I used it it could at least display Wikipedia. Most Websites use JavaScript for design and functionality, those are unusable with Dillo (has no JS by design).

I'm not sure how far Dillo should go with CSS support, since it is also quiet heavy on resources (at least the later versions) but I guess basic V1 support could help with readability.

Comment

Dillo my beloved, For sure downloading it again.

Comment

Oooh, exciting! The SSL support was rudimentary, and I think it broke completely quite recently. Dillo had been more or less broken for some time, having me resort to elinks for lightweight browsing.

Dillo is really, surprisingly fast

And sometimes its lack of JS ffeels more like a feature :P

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                I still remember when "Lightweight Web Browser" was a thing. Nowadays the heaviest app a average user "use" is a web browser. A couple years a got a laptop with a AMD C50 cpu and boy, did modern web pages could bring that little thing to its knees. Did you guys know that Wikipedia's front page is surprisingly heavy? Anyway, I did test Dillo at the time but, unless I was trying to open a very simple webpage, it was unable to display most of what is out there. I hope this new version can expand considerably the number of pages it can handle.
                Ah, I got one of those laptops too... I've been running the links browser on it, for obvious reasons (and because the screen was 1024x700 or something like that)... Back, when I still used it frequently, accessibility was still an important topic on the web, and most bigger sites offered a text-only version, or were made with text-only usage in mind, so using a text-only browser wasn't a big deal.

(I still have the laptop, and the Gentoo that's installed on it is still nearly up-to-date, with the last world update about a month ago. It still works nicely, I only had to replace the fan a couple of months ago. I don't use it frequently any more though.)

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  Most Websites use JavaScript for design and functionality, those are unusable with Dillo (has no JS by design).
                  That seems like a design flaw to me. A browser without JS is pretty much useless these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post

Hijack, any link?

Comment

Working...
                    X