Linux 6.10 To Account For NUMA Node When Allocating Per-CPU Cpumasks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 To Account For NUMA Node When Allocating Per-CPU Cpumasks

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 To Account For NUMA Node When Allocating Per-CPU Cpumasks

In addition to a SLUB optimization for extreme scenarios, faster AES-XTS disk/file encryption for modern Intel/AMD CPUs, and other performance optimizations on the way for Linux 6.10, another minor one was queued up this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did find this, but there was no additional commentary. Looks like Molnar liked it so committed it to tip.

Comment

Forgive the reminiscence of an old man, but often when I read of new microprocessor developments I'm brought back to my first firmware development job in 1982 using an old Intel blue box emulator on an 8085 CPU. We were so very young, and the incredible power that these first primitive chips made possible was simply staggering to us. I remember often wondering where it all would lead, as every year microprocessor and IC development in general progressed at an almost unfathomable pace.

And here we are 42 years later with technology so staggering, and a globe so interconnected, that those first amazing and gentle days literally bring tears to my eyes. I so wish that more of the dreams we had for a kinder more understanding world had come to fruition, but I now understand that no matter the tools and opportunity humankind will run its established course, leaping forward and backward and sideways and upside down and twisting into every other orientation possible.

But though at times it seems we may be lost, when I look at the totality of history and the progress made from the days when entire cities turned out to watch human beings ripped apart for entertainment, I realize that though we may not have achieved utopia, we are indeed getting better. And that's about as much hope as an old man can retain, and treasure.

"Humanity always spreads.

Not fast, as we wish, but with a gentle march."
      SearingTruth

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
        Forgive the reminiscence of an old man,
        I certainly could, if it had any shred of relevance to the article topic.

when I read of new microprocessor developments
        It's software. NUMA machine architectures have been in mainstream servers for 1.5 decades, already. Client CPUs technically aren't NUMA, but their cache topologies can produce NUMA-like effects.

And here we are 42 years later with technology so staggering, and a globe so interconnected, that those first amazing and gentle days literally bring tears to my eyes. I so wish that more of the dreams we had for a kinder more understanding world had come to fruition,
        There are two main trends I see. First, those with wealth & power tend to use technology like any other tool, which is to increase their wealth & power. AI is taking this to yet another level, because it eliminates their dependence on convincing & maintaining large numbers of people to act on their behalf.

Second, by amplifying the voice of the common individual, phenomena like the "urban legend" and "old wives tale" are massively amplified. What I wouldn't have predicted is just how many in society would rather hew to their chosen narrative than avail themselves of powerful resources to try and find the most correct answers, explanations, and understanding. The undercurrent of anti-intellectualism runs deep, even in the information age.

I think the human brain simply isn't well-adapted for mass society and the information age. Considering the first point, dynamics like tribalism don't just prove mal-adaptive on their own, but are weaponized by the wealthy & powerful (and I include corporations, industries, and nation states in this category) to further their aims.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          I certainly could, if it had any shred of relevance to the article topic.
          Sometimes I pour my heart out in inappropriate places, or when I probably shouldn't coder . I do think there was relevance in that the article related to today's advanced technology, but I understand that may be too broad a scope.

In any case I meant no offense, and only do it occasionally.

Usually I leave something directly applicable to the issue at hand, or make some very terrible, often juvenile, joke about it

Comment

In any case I meant no offense, and only do it occasionally.
            Yeah, I do a bit of reminiscing also. I just think it's better saved for when it has some relevance to the subject at hand, because then it's more likely to spark a discussion of interest to those reading the thread.

Anyway, it's not about offense but just some feedback I meant half-jokingly. Probably a would've helped.

Comment

Working...
            X