Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.8 HID: Steam Controller Driver Fixes From SteamOS, Nintendo NSO Controller Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.8 HID: Steam Controller Driver Fixes From SteamOS, Nintendo NSO Controller Support

Phoronix: Linux 6.8 HID: Steam Controller Driver Fixes From SteamOS, Nintendo NSO Controller Support

The HID driver updates for Linux 6.8 include some useful additions primarily for Linux gamers or those otherwise making use of modern game controllers for other input purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If anyone is still considering getting a Steam Controller off eBay or anywhere else, think twice. I recently got one out of curiosity and it's way too unwieldy. The touchpads and the bumpers are way too clicky as well, making it the noisiest controller I've ever used. The nail in the coffin is that personalizing layouts in Steam Input quite simply doesn't work at the moment. Default layouts insist on putting the right touchpad in "as joystick" mode instead of "joystick", which means you have to continuously swipe on the touchpad to register as one flick of an analog stick, and it's surprisingly fatiguing ("joystick" mode allegedly interprets the finger position as the position an analog stick would be pointing to, but again, setting it has no effect).
    Get a DualShock 4 instead, and you'll be golden. Cheers.

Comment

My dualshock 4 stopped working in steam for most games a couple months ago when I built myself a new computer… :-/ Steam doesn’t detect it. Only the rare games that have explicit support for it still work. Not sure what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        My dualshock 4 stopped working in steam for most games a couple months ago when I built myself a new computer… :-/ Steam doesn’t detect it. Only the rare games that have explicit support for it still work. Not sure what happened.
        Heavens, you're right. Been playing Elden Ring with a DualShock 3 recently and haven't noticed. That's very unfortunate. Searching and filtering by "last month" gives me very recent reports about this even on Windows, so it must be Steam Input shenanigans again. Previously, enabling Steam Input for the DualShock 4 would simply make it behave like an Xbox controller globally (again, the same still applies to my DualShock 3). Luckily, it can still be done outside of Steam. I'll be testing this asap: https://github.com/chrippa/ds4drv

Comment

Working...
        X