Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 14 Adds Initial "-std=c++26" Plumbing

Phoronix: GCC 14 Adds Initial "-std=c++26" Plumbing

Similar to LLVM Clang 17 adding -std=c++26 support as the open-source compiler begins work on the next major revision of the C++ programming language, the GCC 14 compiler code has now also added the -std=c++26 compiler option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh no another version of C++?
    How many programming languages are they adding to it this time?
    Are we finally getting meta-template meta-meta programming?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Well P1061 "Structured Bindings can introduce a Pack" seems a pretty sure introduction to C++26 and full reflection is being worked on. P1061 will allow you to unpack data members in a struct or class which will facilitate at least some kind of data member reflection. So yes, I think that is kind of the idea :P

Comment

For people who hate C++ (and yes, there are plenty of them), please just ignore these news.

Comment

No but you can use templates to meta program the other levels until brain melts.

Comment

A lot of the changes since C++11 seem to be aimed at whittling away uses cases for templates.

I have mixed feelings about that. Having gone into the deep end, on templates, back in the mid-2000's, I sort of wish they'd just focus on making templates nicer and easier to use. Not that there hasn't been some of that.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
              For people who hate C++ (and yes, there are plenty of them), please just ignore these news.
              The reason such news is heavy for me is that I don't hate C++. I am very much invested in it, which is why I don't want to see the language get any bigger or more complex.

Comment

Don't be selfish, at least let someone read Michael's article.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  A lot of the changes since C++11 seem to be aimed at whittling away uses cases for templates.

I have mixed feelings about that. Having gone into the deep end, on templates, back in the mid-2000's, I sort of wish they'd just focus on making templates nicer and easier to use. Not that there hasn't been some of that.
                  Have you used concepts? Essentially, types for types (or meta-types)

Personally I do think that C++11 (and subsequent patch versions) make templates far more usable and incredibly powerful. E.g. param packs and SFINAE that is a first class citizen in the language. I've used them extensively to make really helpful abstractions. Can one make a mess with those? Yes, absolutely. Though I should say that it's important to separate responsibilities between library development (where abstractions typically lie) and app development.

Without the abstractions offered by C++11 (so C++O3 and earlier), the language sucked IMO.

Comment

Have you used concepts? Essentially, types for types (or meta-types)
                    No, not yet. I'm still at C++17, in my projects.

Personally I do think that C++11 (and subsequent patch versions) make templates far more usable and incredibly powerful. E.g. param packs and SFINAE that is a first class citizen in the language.
                    No doubt. I had variadic templates and param packs in mind, when I said there had been some improvements.

Without the abstractions offered by C++11 (so C++O3 and earlier), the language sucked IMO.
                    Yes, I'm a huge fan of C++11. Lots of other good improvements have landed, since. I'm just apprehensive about each new round making the language ever larger and more complex. It's already quite daunting, for newcomers.

Comment

Working...
                    X