Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Vega 20 Enablement Heading To Linux 4.20~5.0, No Longer Marked Experimental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Vega 20 Enablement Heading To Linux 4.20~5.0, No Longer Marked Experimental

Phoronix: More Vega 20 Enablement Heading To Linux 4.20~5.0, No Longer Marked Experimental

While the Linux 4.19 kernel merge window just ended this past weekend and the development cycle for Linux 4.20 (or most likely to be called Linux 5.0) won't kick off until around the middle of October, AMD has already begun staging a ton of changes for this next kernel version. In particular, it looks like with this next kernel release their Vega 20 enablement will be in order...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now why do I get the feeling that Vega 20 may in fact be the dual Vega GPU for datacenters they unveiled yesterday? The dual video decoders and the name (Vega 10 + Vega 10 = Vega 20?) would suggest this is very much possible.

Comment

Was thinking same thing, basically that thing is a dual Vega56 card. Not sure what its meant to compete against but I doubt it to go for anything under $1000usd, 32GB HBM2 probably cost that alone.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Now why do I get the feeling that Vega 20 may in fact be the dual Vega GPU for datacenters they unveiled yesterday? The dual video decoders and the name (Vega 10 + Vega 10 = Vega 20?) would suggest this is very much possible.
        With Vega 20 supposed to be at 7nm, I figured they would have clearly announced that yesterday if the Radeon Pro V340 was in fact 7nm Vega 20.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

AMD already announced an Instinct card for the end of 2018 with a new Vega GPU manufactured in a 7 nm process, this is not a rumour. I don't see any reason to conjecture Vega20 is something different than that.
          Also it doesn't make sense to me why a dual GPU card (which is basically two graphics cards with a PCIe switch on one PCB) should get its own driver code.

Comment

Also, there are new instructions for Vega 20 found in LLVM. So, it definitely is a new chip.

Comment

AMD announced that its future CPUs in 7nm will be made at TSMC. Global Foundries also announced they will ditch work on their 7nm process, and will focus on improve 14 and 12nm. I believe this is the first time a AMD CPU will be made outside GF.

Comment

I suspect it will cause higher prices. Less fab competition - less reason for them to keep it cheap.

Comment

Now why do I get the feeling that Vega 20 may in fact be the dual Vega GPU for datacenters they unveiled yesterday?
                  Boredom?

The dual video decoders and the name (Vega 10 + Vega 10 = Vega 20?) would suggest this is very much possible.
                  bridgman previously explained that they name their chips based on the order in which they're developed. Consider that the RX 580 is based on the Polaris 20 GPU, where the RX 480 used the Polaris 10. Taken together with the fact that RX 460/560 is Polaris 11 and RX 550 is Polaris 12 and it seems the first digit indicates a refresh, while the second is the sequence within that run.

Also, AMD says the Radeon™ Pro V340 uses 14 nm fabrication, whereas readers of this site will know that Vega 20 adds new instructions (meaning new silicon) and AMD has only spoken of a 7 nm respin of Vega, mentioning nothing about another 14 nm chip.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Vega20 is not a dual Vega10, although I agree some of the numbers fit (other than 2x14 not being 7).
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X