AMD Has A Vulkan Linux Driver, But Will Be Closed-Source At First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Me on the other hand i am seriously thinking of throwing away my r600 and migrating to an Nvidia once wayland it supported. :/
    you mean once linux is supported. linux will never be supported by nvidia. they will lag for many years for every new linux feature and wayland will not be the last new linux feature

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

My nvidia driver that gives me proper 3D acceleration and power profiles on Linux loled so hard...
      my radeonsi does the same and it actually works on linux and not on some random subset of linux

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        my radeonsi does the same and it actually works on linux and not on some random subset of linux
        The AMD shill running wild...

Comment

Great news for AMDGPU customers. If RadeonSI gets no Vulkan support, that will be my last AMD hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
            Great news for AMDGPU customers. If RadeonSI gets no Vulkan support, that will be my last AMD hardware...
            ... Vulcan wasnt even known at the time that series was conceived, why would you think its totally wrong to not support Vulcan for that series of cards? Honestly, provide some reasoning please.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              radeonsi won't get it on amdgpu supported All Open stack at first, so not sure on what do you complain. It will be blob at first, if that is what you don't like or something?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Me on the other hand i am seriously thinking of throwing away my r600 and migrating to an Nvidia once wayland it supported. :/
                I did that some time ago myself. I can't say I'm too happy, though. From my experience, the NVIDIA blob is really not that good. There are hilarious problems with tearing (unless you run OpenGL compositing or an equivalent and eat the performance hit, games will be unplayable due to tearing), and it's a pain on rolling distros like openSUSE Tumbleweed because it has to be reinstalled every time the kernel is updated (if it even works with the new kernel to begin with). Nouveau doesn't have tearing problems, but instead it freezes the system randomly.

So I'm pretty sure my next card will be AMD again. Although it will probably take quite a bit of time until I'll need a new card...

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

... Vulcan wasnt even known at the time that series was conceived, why would you think its totally wrong to not support Vulcan for that series of cards? Honestly, provide some reasoning please.
                  I understand where he is coming from. His fear is the same as mine. Buying an AMD card under the RadeonSI branch may likely not grant us support to Vulkan, even though it's likely to be supported on that same hardware under Windows (meaning it's completely feasible).

Essentially, if Windows users get this functionality but AMD says we on Linux can't get it for whatever ridiculous reason despite being on the same hardware, then all hell will break loose.

Why is this fear so real? One very interesting feature to look at as history with AMD (from which we learn), is that FreeSync is Windows-only. Neither the OSS driver nor Catalyst gives us this basic functionality on Linux as far as I know.

Nvidia's proprietary G-Sync is already supported on Linux. AMD have not provided us with any information as to why they cannot add this functionality to the OSS driver or even Catalyst for Linux.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of this information, but it's very disheartening.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                    Why is this fear so real? One very interesting feature to look at as history with AMD (from which we learn), is that FreeSync is Windows-only. Neither the OSS driver nor Catalyst gives us this basic functionality on Linux as far as I know.

Nvidia's proprietary G-Sync is already supported on Linux. AMD have not provided us with any information as to why they cannot add this functionality to the OSS driver or even Catalyst for Linux.
                    All of the information you need to implement freesync in the open source driver is available someone just has to implement it. Unfortunately, it's it not a priority for us at the moment. Our work is driven by customer requirements and Linux customer requirements (embedded, workstation, etc.) don't always align with Windows customer requirements (gaming, entertainment, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

All of the information you need to implement freesync in the open source driver is available someone just has to implement it. Unfortunately, it's it not a priority for us at the moment. Our work is driven by customer requirements and Linux customer requirements (embedded, workstation, etc.) don't always align with Windows customer requirements (gaming, entertainment, etc.).
                      The longer the wait, the more people from the Linux gaming crowd are lost to Nvidia. Doesn't this worry you guys at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X