Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I run a fglrx and a mesa/radeon X server at the same time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I run a fglrx and a mesa/radeon X server at the same time?

Hi,

why can I run two (or more) Xservers with one graphic driver (on :7 :8 ...) but can't run a fglrx based Xserver on :7 and a radeon based server on :8?

The fglrx and radeon driver stacks use different GL libraries, and absent an ICD-type mechanism they can't co-exist.

Not sure if both kernel drivers can be restricted to only run on one of the two devices - I think they can but not 100% sure. Anyways, the GL lib conflict is probably what's stopping you.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The fglrx and radeon driver stacks use different GL libraries, and absent an ICD-type mechanism they can't co-exist.

Not sure if both kernel drivers can be restricted to only run on one of the two devices - I think they can but not 100% sure. Anyways, the GL lib conflict is probably what's stopping you.
      Curiosity, cat. Will you be able to do that on amdgpu stack with open and closed variants?

Comment

Hey, thank's for the fast answer, but what has the International Classification of Diseases to do with this?

Comment

You asked what the problem was -- AFAIK the purpose of the International Classification of Diseases is to analyse symptoms and determine a root cause. Seems fitting to me.

There's also Installable Client Driver, but that's boring.
          Test signature

Comment

More importantly, they each have different kernel drivers that expect to have exclusive access to the hardware.

Comment

My interpretation of OP's question was whether they could run fglrx on one card and radeon on another card. Not 100% sure that is what they meant though.
              Test signature

Comment

My interpretation of OP's question was whether they could run fglrx on one card and radeon on another card. Not 100% sure that is what they meant though.

that explains why I can't make sense of your answer. To clarify: My question was: why can't I run two Xservers with a different GPU driver on each Xservers? Only one GPU is involved here.

Comment

Ahh, OK. If only one GPU then you can only have one kernel driver, and so only one driver stack (fglrx or radeon).
                  Test signature

Comment

Ahh, OK. If only one GPU then you can only have one kernel driver, and so only one driver stack (fglrx or radeon).
                    then I don't understand why I need to specify which driver I want to load (radeon or fglrx). If only one driver can exist on a system, shouldn't the XServer just query the kernel for which driver is currently loaded?

Comment

Working...
                    X