NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 950 Is A $150+ Bargain For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just curious, why do you say that ? Several 4.x features were enabled for r600 in the last month.

With the ~3 Michael <3 Nvidia articles a day with constant snipes at AMD, this site has turned into another $hill site. The users are just echoing the crap fed to them. Stick to semiaccurate Bridgman it's the one of the only bastions left where people aren't ignorant and testing compatibility layer games like they're native harming your companies name (AMD can do that just fine on their own they don't need you greenfangays help).
    Last edited by nightmarex; 20 August 2015, 11:25 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

bridgman

As developer i would definitely use at least on Nvidia card - as you get beta drivers with latest OpenGL features the day they are announced, you can not say that for AMD hardware. I still would like to see OpenGL 4 OSS for my 3 HD 5670 cards. Btw. can you send me a newer one?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        More to the point: why does it need an 8 pin connector?
        TDP is over 75W, which is the official PCI-e maximum that can be delivered through the slot. (Unless you're asking why it's not just a 6-pin connector, which is probably because modern PSU's made in the PCI-e 2.0 era have the 8-pin or 6+2 connector.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
          What about some sub $100 cards? I need a replacement for my 6670, a sub $100 card since it looks like nobody is interested in implementing OpenGL 4.0 support in the r600...
          You might find some Bonaire bellow $100 (R7 260/X) or R7 360 that is $109... both have OpenGL 4.5 / OpenCL 2.0 support with Catalyst or on mesa there are 4.1 support currenty.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just curious, why do you say that ? Several 4.x features were enabled for r600 in the last month.
            I was looking on Mesa Matrix. I see some features implemented but nothing that would allow me to run some of those 4.0 Games. Right? I am serious though, would very much like a replacement for my 6670, runs great but it's getting kinda old really and I need some options; Linux options.

Comment

I was looking on Mesa Matrix. I see some features implemented but nothing that would allow me to run some of those 4.0 Games. Right? I am serious though, would very much like a replacement for my 6670, runs great but it's getting kinda old really and I need some options; Linux options.
              Unless you're using Mesa 11 and Linux 4.2, what difference does it make? By the time whatever distro you use officially supports those 2 things, R600 might support those features. Keep in mind that most of the final touches of OGL 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 are less than a month old.

Comment

What about some sub $100 cards?
                Michael has already reviewed the GTX 750/Ti

I was thinking about getting one to tide me over until Pascal but it's a bit pricey for what would be a temporary card for me.
                You can probably find some good deals on the GTX 750/Ti now . Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127788

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You might find some Bonaire bellow $100 (R7 260/X) or R7 360 that is $109... both have OpenGL 4.5 / OpenCL 2.0 support with Catalyst or on mesa there are 4.1 support currenty.
                  I actually have an ASUS R7 360 bookmarked from newegg for $119 but wasn't entirely sure how much better it was than my 6670. 6670 has been extremely stable for me and I really want something reliable and stable as a replacement. Of course, also have a ASUS GF 750 bookmarked also...I'm just unsure.

Comment

You should not buy something without HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 if you want it to be future proof.

Comment

I actually have an ASUS R7 360 bookmarked from newegg for $119 but wasn't entirely sure how much better it was than my 6670.
                      It should be maybe around 2.5x if not 3x faster in GPU bound benchmarks.

6670 has been extremely stable for me and I really want something reliable and stable as a replacement.
                      I think that Bonaire is most stable GCN card for quite some time, if we speak about opensource drivers.
                      Last edited by dungeon; 20 August 2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X